No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Interesting early Mdina bowl with ground pontil. Please be critical !!  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
That is a stunning vase John , with a great Art Deco look . I'm going to have to get a book from the library on WMF . This little bowl has opened up a whole new area of interest for me thanks to you guys !  :D  I will see if I can check the blue under UV light (lost the pen again)  to see if it goes green !

Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
I've tested it under UV light and there is no reaction from the blue or any other part of the bowl ....are the bubbles a feature of WMF glass ? 
Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Yes, those sivler-chloride bubbles are very distinctive :)
>> Link 1
>> Link 2

Michael

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks for the links Michael , such lovely pieces !

It was the non-silver chloride bubbles that I'm a bit worried about....and the fact that the blue doesn't react under UV as did the Art Deco vase. I'm not really doubting that it is WMF just want to be doubly sure (if that's at all possible )!

I really appreciate all the comments that have been made on this and for your ID Michael !
Mike

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Yes, air bubbles are quite usual in Ikora glass.
>> Here is my blue vase shown in the 1928 catalogue as well, with lots of bubbles of all sizes...

If you message me your e-mail adress (click the small envelope to the left), I can send you a picture of the catalogue page in the Ikora book, showing your bowl.

That other Art Deco vase is a far more complex piece, so I wouldn't expect every blue Ikora piece to glow under UV.

Michael

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Oh my gosh ! Even more stunning pieces .....makes my little bowl look bland !!  ;)

I've just become a WMF convert !

That is very kind of you Michael , I will send you my email address , you are a star !!
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
I wish to express my huge thanks to you Michael for sending me the images of the bowl from the Ikora cat.. It's the exact same shape  (with a bevelled rim and small foot). 

So delighted to discover that this is an early piece and  I can only conclude that Michael Harris must have been greatly influenced by this design (if indeed he knew about it !) .

I hope this example can help others to distinguish the difference between Ikora and Mdina.

Thanks to all who have contributed  to this thread and also to the GMB !

Cheers, Mike.
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I still think it's a moot point about whether or not MH knew of these pieces by WMF.
It's not as if they're common.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand