Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass

Russian (?) cup

(1/3) > >>

brain_11:
Although I can't read the mark on the bottom, my hunch is that the cup I have is Russian from the 19th century. It is very precisely enamelled. Can anyone decipher the maker's mark?

Attila

flying free:
I can't - the mark doesn't look very Russian on sight, but it's a good hunch I think based on the teardrop type enamel design around the base.
If you go on the Hermitage Museum collection website they have a vast collection of glass online and you may be able to match it.
It's a lovely piece of glass :)
m

flying free:
I'm not sure how old your beaker is but in Newman's Dictionary of Glass it lists the following under 18th century Glasshouses in Russia:
Mal'tsev, Bachmetov, and Minter and also St Petersburg Imperial Glass Factory and the factory of H.V. Lomonosov.  It says 'By 1812 there were over 140 private glasshouses, but only a few made fine-quality glassware;'
It says from 1850 to 1870 there were many more and the older ones expanded.
m

flying free:
I've not found anything similar at all having gone through quite a few books. The only tiniest similarity I did find, which is probably not worth it at all :) was in Newman's Dictionary of glass page 225 there is a vase top row left that has the same colour yellowy orange dots on it in the centre of flowers. It has a vaguely similar feel in the design around the rim.  But probably a long shot.  The glass is attributed as Bohemian, French and German with no designation per item.
m

brain_11:
Many thanks for the effort, so it might be not Russian? Anyway, it is a nice glass.

Attila

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version