No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: possible Webb's Gay Glass 'Evergreen'.  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
possible Webb's Gay Glass 'Evergreen'.
« on: May 26, 2013, 08:13:11 PM »
The first pic is today's acquisition, which appears to be the same shade as the second pic., and both shapes can be seen in the Gay Glass range - page 141 - Hajdamach's '20th Century Glass'.             Both are optically ribbed, and both show some reaction to the u.v. torch, although I'm reasonably sure it's only due to a fairly high manganese content  -  both also have the factory trade mark backstamp.         
Is this 'Evergreen' please?

The reason for showing the other two is simply to illustrate Webb's other shades of green............  the third pic (and palest of the greens) has a uranium content  -  glows well, and also has the backstamp........... 
the last pic, and darkest of the greens, doesn't react at all to the u.v. torch, and is without a backstamp, but with that wave pattern is definitely Webb.

Thanks for looking :)

Offline keith

• Members
Re: possible Webb's Gay Glass 'Evergreen'.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 11:37:07 PM »
Looks good to me,although I have been wrong,too many times to count, ::) ::) ;D ;D

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 08:19:39 AM »
I always assumed that Evergreen did have uranium content and the few pieces I have do show this, however, later models (possibly 1940-on?) may have switched to another mix that did not have uranium.

The top two could have been later production, or not made in Evergreen. I have one large vase that glows like a good 'un and it certainly looks like Webb, but no backstamp. I'm always unsure about those look-alikes without a stamp, but as Richardson were taken over by Thomas Webb in 1930 perhaps these close links created some form of mirror production? Richardson was certainly using the same factory floor.

Source: 20th C British Glass, Charles Hajdamach, p.142 (caption)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 10:16:11 AM »
thanks - a mixed response then ;)

The shapes of the first two are to be seen in Hajdamach's illustration showing the Webb catalogue page for Gay Glass (1930's?), so on that basis are possible contenders for 'Evergreen', and the Backstamp for both is dated by Dodsworth to c. 1935 - 49 - so at least in the right area date wise for Gay Glass.                Based on their backstamps, my pieces are potentially pre-war - but can't, of course, be sure.

As I've said, I'm confident that the dull glow from these first two pieces is simply the result of the presence of manganese.

When speaking of the three colours of Gay Glass, Hajdamach comments quite specifically about 'Sunshine'.......    "......the Golden Amber which contained an appreciable amount of uranium......."  -  but makes no mention of either 'Spring' or 'Evergreen' containing uranium  -  thus implying they didn't???              Because of these several shades of green from Webb, pictures in books are an not always a reliable guide with which to be dogmatic about provenance, and I think what I was trying to say (to those folk who do have some 'Evergreen') was - 'does the green of these first two pieces look like the green of 'Evergreen'

If it's not too much trouble may I ask both David and Keith to post a pic of a piece of what they consider to be Webb's 'Evergreen, and to re-check with the torch re the matter of either uranium or manganese.         Thanks very much :)   

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 01:16:05 PM »
Here's my one and only green'un,1935-49 mark,never thought to put it under the uv lamp, ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 02:22:05 PM »
thanks very much Keith  -  mine certainly don't glow remotely like that -  although the basic shade of green looks the same.        Maybe as David says mine are a later post war production and simply didn't contain any uranium, but are still classed as 'Evergreen'.

Just had a look through all my Webb pieces which made up with........... ordinary non-uranium amber  -  some pale green as in my picture three above, all of which glow  -  and surprisingly a fair amount of 'Sunshine' amber which also glows.             But apparently no dark green with uranium.
Also don't seem to have any 'Spring' - it looks a very insipid pale green in the book.

thanks again.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 03:17:27 PM »

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 04:28:26 PM »
David says mine are a later post war production and simply didn't contain any uranium

No, what I said was,

"I always assumed that Evergreen did have uranium content and the few pieces I have do show this, however, later models (possibly 1940-on?) may have switched to another mix that did not have uranium."

and...

"The top two could have been later production, or not made in Evergreen. "

Without further proof, such as works' records, to confirm this, we simply do not know.

As for photographing my examples, this will have to wait as they are all packed away, but Christine's Spring Green example does have Uranium, by the look of it (and why else would she keep it  ;) )
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 04:58:15 PM »
Apologies if I got it wrong David  -  it's been a long day :).

In Hajdamach the colour representation of 'Spring' is nothing like the piece shown by Christine  -  it looks more akin to sage - a greyish-green, so have to be careful with colours as they appear in books.
But I do have some uranium pieces like Christine's example, so would seem that I do have some 'Spring' after all then.     Thanks Christine.
I also have a blue piece, with the Webb backstamp  -  I wonder what that is called ;)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 07:03:43 PM »
You have to remember you're seeing a reproduction of an advert that was based on a colourised drawing not a photograph

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand