No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart colour code ??5A  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Gary

• Members
Monart colour code ??5A
« on: May 27, 2013, 06:45:36 PM »
This RA shaped vase is the latest addition to my collection, it has a colour scheme that I have not seen before. It has the same colours as colour code 185 (blue and black with gold aventurine) plus magenta, also the interior has been acid etched which was normally only done on Monart lamps and pendant fittings to help defuse the light.
The label reads V11. RA. ??5A, the first two letters of colour code are not complete, my gut feeling is that it should read 185A equally it may 195A, 485A or 495A. To date no Monart colour code above 516 has been recorded so it fairly safe to assume there is no colour code above 599.
Gary

Offline millarart

• Members
Re: Monart colour code ??5A
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 01:54:39 PM »
very nice piece, now im sure I have seen this colourway, a few years back now(7-10), could have been Taylors cant remember if it was labelled and even if it was I would not remember the code, but I am sure it was a shape SA , in them days shape SA and shape RA seemed to be in every auction,
                                Gary
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 09:19:21 AM »
Thanks Gary, shapes SA and RA are among the commonest shapes produced by Monart, though this is my first RA shape vase in my collection, I have held off buying this shape until one with a colour scheme I did not have and liked.
Below is an image with a back light shining on the vases, showing how the acid etched vase (L/H) defuses the light compared to the vase on the right hand side.
Gary

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 01:22:53 PM »
nice to see the difference , I have a really nice shape C that is acid washed inside its the same colourway as the one on Ysartglass site in Libertys catalogue year 1934/5 bottom right with lampshade on it , if I remember correct it should have label or part label, another one I will have to dig out, haven't seen it for around 8 years,

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 02:36:45 PM »
One mystery solved, this piece is not a vase but the base of a Monart lamp (parchment shade not glass shade type). I recently came across the same shape and colour scheme with a Monart light fitting as shown in link (third row down on the left).
http://www.ysartglass.com/Moncat/PageLightFit.htm

The problem now is, trying to find a spare light fitting.
Gary

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 04:53:49 PM »
lol not only finding a fitting but finding a fitting that will fit your vase as they were all different sizes, I have a couple but both are with the vase/lamp . I also have a cracking shape C same one as in a libertys catalogue that I need a fitting for aswell and have done for last 10 or more years

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 05:08:21 PM »
So, would the fitting just be a metal bit that fits inside the neck with a larger piece that sits on top of the neck with the rest above it? Does it actually fasten on to the "vase" or is it just held in place with the weight and the fitting inside the neck (if that makes any sense!)
How do you know it is a lamp base other than the acid etching inside - is there wear on the top of the neck?

Anyway, it is a stunning colourway - hope you manage to figure out the correct code!

Roberta
Roberta

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 07:49:47 PM »
the bottom of the round fitting has a sprung metal ban that goes inside the neck of the vase, if the vase is acid washed inside then its defo been a vase lamp,

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 08:48:29 PM »
The colour does not look like the normal 185 which seems to be reasonably common, so could it be 195 or 135 possibly?

Also , to change to subject slightly - does anyone have a shape WF? I'm trying to find comparisons and apart from the one on Ysartglass I can't find any other images.  ???

Roberta
Roberta

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 12:51:15 PM »
the bottom of the round fitting has a sprung metal ban that goes inside the neck of the vase, if the vase is acid washed inside then its defo been a vase lamp,
The length of the neck on the vase/lamp would also determine the size of the fitting.
The link below is a fitting for example- FB and N shape ie long neck.
http://www.ysartglass.com/Moncat/PageLightFit.htm

The photo below is a fitting for the shape RA and it could have been used for shape C ie short neck.

The colour does not look like the normal 185 which seems to be reasonably common, so could it be 195 or 135 possibly?

Roberta

It definitely is the same blue and black as colour code 185. Because it is acid etched inside, the blue looks darker than it does in a non acid etched vase.
Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand