No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chunky Japanese ashtray- with label!!!!! ID = Sanyu Glass, Osaka, Japan  (Read 11473 times)

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
Greetings, have just taken delivery of this fab, chunky, heavy, glass ashtray with a circular black and silver foil label. It is 17.5cm long and 8.5 wide and 8 cm high with a cut and polished base. Colours are gold translucent glass on the outside and cranberry to the inner. Label has- Registered/ Made in Japan and some letters to the central portion of the label in capitals. Can make out EANYL ??? Any opinions on these letters is appreciated. regards Carol
Carolglass

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Chunky Japanese ashtray- with label!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 06:10:11 AM »
Carol you need to resize your photos to be nearer 125Kb which will be approximately 500x500.  They will then blow-up so we oldies with failing eyesight can possibly read the label.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 06:11:40 AM »
Probably wrong but I seem to remember a SANYU label I saw somewhere.  Any chance that is what yours reads?

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 06:03:55 PM »
At 400% screen magnification it certainly looks like SANYO to me - with the "S" being part worn and the "O" having its right side chopped offf with the loss of the edge of the label.

Edited to add ... being a moderator here does not mean I can read or spell well.  :)
(Sanyu, not Sanyo)
KevinH

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 09:12:26 PM »
Dear Kevin and Ross- apologies for the label size I did take a LOT of pictures of it and that one was the best. So Sanyo is the lead contender eh- Many thanks for your expertise. regards from a freezing but sunny New Zealand- Carol
Carolglass

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 10:43:45 PM »
Yes it is the Sanyu label :) I believe it is the earlier label as well. So from around 1968 onwards. Lovely piece of glass carol. I have forgotten the chief designers name from around that time but will look it up for you once my hangover disappears LOL...

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 12:18:06 AM »
See also: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,30253.msg163862.html#msg163862 for another Sanyu item with part label.
KevinH

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
Great extra information Kane and Kevin, I have bookmarked the Japanese site for further drooling. Many thanks from a warming up day here in NZ- Carol
Carolglass

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
I have some limited information :)

From 1969 to 1979 Chiyogi Asahara work at Sanyu Glass. There is also a book about his glass out there but I have not been able to locate a copy.

Also, Kunitaro Uchida began studying at Sanyu from 1968.

From 1972 a Katsuhiro Kageyama joined the company.

I am not able to tell who may done the piece though :( But in the future I may be able to as I am gathering contact details for these glass artists.

Hopefully soon I will be able to detail Sanyu Glass Company a bit better for everyone :)

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
Kane you and the other posters are STARRRRS!! Many thanks for the additional information- have done a cut and paste to the file SANYU.
regards from a getting colder New Zealand Carol
Carolglass

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand