No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Seller claims this is Archimede Seguso anyone seen this label?  (Read 2632 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Hi All - just searching for some A.S. Glass and came across this unusual label. Is this an early version of his scolloped label or something else?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARCHIMEDE-SEGUSO-Giant-MURANO-Glass-VASE-15-5-VINTAGE-Threading-ORIGINAL-LABEL-/310672208294?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item485581b1a6
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Re: Seller claims this is Archimede Seguso anyone seen this label?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 05:55:29 AM »
I've only ever seen that label on Empoli glassware, such as the striped "Alrose" vases and decanters.  The seller has probably got it mixed up with the Archimede Seguso one because of the similar scalloped shape.

Edit: Example attached.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 09:09:52 PM »
Thanks Wayne it did not look right to me. Never looked at this maker before but there is lots of it on ebay now you point it out to me.

addition: I just looked at the labels file, and this is not there. Maybe you would agree for the mods to add it?
Archimede tops my list.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 12:59:42 AM »
Wayne is right. It is a label used on Empoli glass. The seller probably got it confused with the one below that is an Archimede Seguso label. I've only seen this label on their earlier things (late 40s- early 50s). I don't know if they used it longer than that.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 06:33:53 AM »
Absolutely fine if the mods want to add the label to the labels gallery of course.  Just to add, it doesn't really signify a maker as such, as there are/were many manufacturers in the Empoli region of Italy, and I don't know if one or several used this label.  Alrose was most likely an importer rather than maker, as their "Alrose Original" labels are also found on pottery.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 07:51:45 AM »
HI Anita - I just checked all my glass and apart from the few with A.S. name label the rest are 'made in murano italy' and NOT the one you show. I was convinced I had one of yours in my collection but as I photo all my labels it is not there.

Interesting label will keep an eye out for it.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 01:19:50 PM »
It is not a very common sticker, Ardy. I haven't seen it very often, which is why I believe it wasn't used very long.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 10:52:15 PM »
Absolutely fine if the mods want to add the label to the labels gallery of course
Doesn't need a moderator to add to the labels gallery - anyone can do that.

I would add a copy of the label but to be honest I am not sure what title would be best. Plain "Murano" would not work and "Empoli" would keep it away from the Seguso similar one.

How best to draw attention to "seen on Empoli, not Seguso"? Any thoughts, anyone?
KevinH

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 11:24:50 PM »
Hi Kevin
"Similar to Seguso"
   EMPOLI
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand