No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Big Pulegoso vase, Českomoravské sklárny/Reich & Co  (Read 4835 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Big Pulegoso vase, Českomoravské sklárny/Reich & Co
« on: June 02, 2013, 01:59:26 PM »
Interesting addition to my Czech glass collection:
big (height 25 cm) Pulegoso vase, very Art Deco shape. Base ground, with big polished pontil mark.

Sypka auction catalogue (part 2) has one in an identical shape, identified as Českomoravské sklárny, S. Reich, Krasno, model nr. 40/201/1640.
(Only difference I see is that theirs seems to have a smooth rim, while the one in mine is cut, bevelled and polished).

I have seen a few pieces in this style in the past, but was never sure where they might come from; so Reich & Co. seems likely for some of them...
Haven't found much online (apart from some fabulous information in Pressglaskorrespondenz). So any more info highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Michael

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Big Pulegoso vase, Českomoravské sklárny/Reich & Co
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 09:39:11 PM »
I love this pulegoso effect :)   Is the number of the vase 40/301/1640 Michael? or am I looking at a different catalogue? I can see it is the same but I had been wondering if your vase has had the rim ground and polished later if it also has a pontil mark? However looking at the picture (page 40?)yours is very slightly different I think in that it has an outward 'ring' also at the top by the rim whereas the one in the picture doesn't look as though it has that ring.  It just finishes straight up with a firepolished rim.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 10:36:38 PM »
I came across this searching - it's not Reich, but are these the same effect?  also pulegoso?
http://www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo/25-STARE-CLANKY-OLD-ARTICLES/2924-Lichtagovi
m

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 08:48:31 AM »
Thanks a lot, m!

Yes, I came across the site about Lichtagova (great little essay by Jindrich!:) )

I may have got the numbering from the Sypka catalogue wrong, it is from the one entitled "Czech glass, a private collection part II")
Here is >> another one on Austrian ebay, same shape and height, with a firepolished rim as well; the glass in both of those looks a lot thicker than in mine, that is why I wonder if the cut and bevelled rim in mine might be original rather than cut down.
And I would guess that the difference in the shape of the rim might be due to hotworking (the upper ring might become less pronounced that way?)

I don't know if it is clear in my pics, but mine is cased, the two evenly thick layers are quite obvious in my pic of the rim: an outer layer of colourless pulegoso glass, and an inner layer of brown/orange speckled (also) pulegoso glass.

Colours are a little bit dull, but I love the shimmering pulegoso, too :)
And as it is quite transparent due to the thin glass, it looks really lovely when backlit.

Michael

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 01:53:22 PM »
One more ;D

Same shape (and mould?) as my previous one, but short neck. May have been cut down, but could have been a different pattern, too -- proportions look ok to me. If I didn't know of the other one, I would be convinced it should look this way.

No polished pontil mark this time.
Again two differently coloured pulegoso layers.

Michael

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 05:30:10 PM »
Another nice S. Reich pulegoso vase from the early 1940s, "Antik"-range.
26 cm high, sand coloured with yellow, blue and brown patches and streaks. Polished pontil mark.

(There is a hole drilled just above the base, so this obviously was a lamp base once...)

Michael

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 11:21:15 PM »
 mmm lovely shape and nice colours in that one as well - is that green uranium at all?
m

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 07:50:01 PM »
Thanks, m!
I liked the colours as well (and the rather big size, compared to my Beranek Pulegoso pieces)

I don't think it's Uranium -- acidic yellow, no hint of green glow.
But I will test when I borrow the UV torch nex time...

Michael

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 08:55:21 AM »
That is one of the most wonderful shapes on pulegosos I´ve seen, Michael. :green:  :)
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 05:10:39 PM »
Thanks, Dirk. :)

BTW, I am 90% convinced the mystery pulegoso vase with orange rim in your gallery ( >> Link ) is Reich as well. I have seen the same design here once...

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand