No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Big Pulegoso vase, Českomoravské sklárny/Reich & Co  (Read 4900 times)

Offline dirk.

• Members
Re: Big Pulegoso vase, Českomoravské sklárny/Reich & Co
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 08:02:51 PM »
I think you may be right about that. It sticks out a little from the other output.
Still think the large vase with the cut rim is Beranek though... (the other one with??)  ;)
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 11:13:45 PM »
When I was researching the early history of Beranek at Skrdlovice, for the book, discovering the links between CMS and Emanuel Beranek and M. Veliskova and others who worked at Beranek in the early days, explained to me a lot why we find the distinction between CMS and Beranek very difficult, after all, numerous techniques and patterns travelled from CMS to Skrdlovice virtually unchanged, a fact which I was happy to try to help document. For some pieces, such as the ones in discussion are really hard to be sure about at times. I still find this a difficult area at times. A really fascinating small area of glass history, that is not yet fully documented, CMS output especially. The CMS pieces are really hard to find. I liked the link you posted Rocco to the Phd article from the Czech Republic regarding this area, unfortunately, it was too late to add it to the book this time.

Robert (bOBA)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 07:33:23 AM »
Thanks Dirk, Robert!
I agree -- hard to be really sure about some of these pieces.
There is even a vaguely similar shape in the early Skrdlovice pattern books, PN 4564...

Still, as the mould blown pieces with the ringed neck which started this thread are definately CMS / S. Reich & Co., I would attribute my last purchase without much doubt to Reich as well, due to the same streaky mottled glass and identical colours.
As I cannot see the shape of Dirk's other "?" (beautiful) pink/yellow Pulegoso vase in the early Skrdlovice pattern books, I would lean towards Reich as well.

BTW, I still could kick myself for not buying an absolutely gorgeous big Reich pulegoso lamp base a few years back; but I didn't know much about this kind of glass then, and as I couldn't find it in the Skrdlovice pattern books, and the rim was cut and polished with several small chips, I thought that it was a vase with cut down neck (and far too expensive for a damaged piece). Now I know that the right light fitting would have hidden any damage, and that the rim was original...

Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 03:21:31 PM »
I have been collecting and studying this glass for a long time. I agree that your recent vase is Reich Rocco, mainly based on the colours being very Reich CMS as seen in the Cesko Moravske museum collection and elsewhere, which are definitely slightly different to early Beranek, but at a glace look similar. Dirk has a cut up rim vase I would be tempted to attribute on the same basis. The black and white pattern books cannot really help us with this kind of analysis....

yours,

Robert

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 06:22:54 PM »
Thank you very much for the additional info, Robert!
I am aware that there remains a little uncertainty which of the two companies made pieces like this; but I can live with a likely attribution :)

Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 08:28:16 PM »
I agree, either are good! I tend to see more old Skrdlovice with a concave polished pontil rod mark though, so if the lamp has one, that would be a bit confusing for me,

Robert (bOBA)

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 11:56:25 PM »
I notice that one of your CMS vases also has a concave polished pontil rod mark so I would suspect the base finish may have varied at CMS. As you know, all Skrdlovice early Beranek tends to have small concave polished pontil rod marks...

Robert (bOBA)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2014, 06:05:07 PM »
Thanks, Robert.
Yes, seems that the pontil finish wouldn't rule out either of these makers.

Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2014, 08:37:05 PM »
True up to a point, but I do think that (apart from the odd piece) as a general indicator, the base finish and a cut rim together can be indicative of factory. Cut rim and flat base indicates probably CMS for me, although, as you say, not a "proof". At the same time, I have not seen a definite early Beranek pattern with a flat base and no pontil rod mark.

I am pretty sure this one with flower decor is CMS, cut rim and flat, uniform base. The colours of the CMS pulegoso are usually slightly different from early Beranek too, as here, the mottled lower half is not coloured quite how I have seen early Beranek, though the photo does not make this distinction very clear! I was quite suprised to see on a quick google search that the same mould seems to have been used for signed CMS cameo vases of the same height (28cm) and shape.

Robert (bOBA)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 07:04:35 PM »
Lovely piece, Robert! (Though I have to confess I would prefer it without the painted flowers ;) )
I noticed that CMS Krasno used this shape widely, with several techniques - Cameo, single coloured with painted decoration, Ikora-like crackle,...

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand