No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: For Cambridge lovers thought I would share  (Read 5948 times)

Offline atruheart

• Members
For Cambridge lovers thought I would share
« on: April 30, 2006, 06:10:55 AM »
First I have ever held in my hands and it's a pretty!  :D

Atruheart

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 08:52:53 AM »
:shock::shock::shock:

That is truly scary!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 09:43:54 AM »
What a reaction! To fill you all in at what you are seeing, This is called the flying nude in some circles. In the Cambridge catalogs it is described as a 10 inch fruit or flower center. The color of the glass is known as Crown Tuscan and the decoration is Carlton. It is one of the most sought after pieces by Crown Tuscan collectors and needless to say is very expensive. Not to everyone's taste I am sure, but then what piece of glass is? Terry

Offline AlmasAttic

• Members
    • Remtique
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 12:48:22 PM »
wow atruheart! That is a VERY special piece! and the condition of the decoration still looks to be excellent.

Congrats  :P

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 08:28:53 PM »
PLEASE don't anyone take offence, but on a purely personal level I think it's ghastly and can only give thanks that they are rare and I may go through life without seeing another.
I would say that my own tastes, however, are highly questionable at times and as with all things there is definitely not one size fits all where glass is concerned.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline atruheart

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 03:39:43 AM »
I am in the SF Bay area in California :-)  My real name is Theresa.
I buy and sell with the name Hartmans2 on E and usually hang out on the PGP board there. I found this site purely by accident and started reading and reading. Lots of folks here with loads of knowledge and I love to learn anything I can concerning glass and collectables. Pleased to me you all!

Paul I didn't feel like you at all when I saw this piece  :shock: It is actually wonderful in person. I do not collect this type of glass myself my personal taste runs more into the modern art glass area of collecting.
But in doing much research as a collector and a seller on E I knew this was a special and sought after piece of 30's Cambridge. I don't limit myself to my own taste:-) Thanks goodness.

What I really think is funny is the very first reaction to my post....lol Are there any Cambridge collectors here in this forum?

Theresa

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 07:55:07 AM »
:D :lol: :D

Hello Theresa! I'm glad you were not offended by my comment - at least my reaction was profound and deep! 8)  
It may not have been positive, but it is surely a reflection of it's quality that it does provoke a strong emotion. :P

(I'm known for not "doing" pink, pastel, opaque. flowery or ormolu) :twisted:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 08:04:58 AM »
Hi Theresa and welcome to the board.

Quote from: "Theresa"
I am in the SF Bay area in California

My favourite city, San Francisco :lol: . I used to live in the valley, near Sacramento. Who needs 6 flags; drive round SF all day, better than any roller coaster! (I'm not American though....English)

Sorry, I am not a Cambridge collector either.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 08:26:49 AM »
Theresa, I think it's fab.  :shock:  :D   It's just so over the top, that somehow that point becomes a draw of it's own....it's very 'over the toppishness' makes it desirable somehow...well, to me anyway.  :wink:

The obvious thing to ask is; how was it made?  I assume the nude was applied afterwards?  It's a really fun piece.  :D  :D
I am not a man

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 09:26:45 AM »
Hi Theresa and let me add a belated welcome to the board. My earlier comment was purely a personal reaction as I have never bought a piece for any reason other that personal taste and intrinsic value has always been secondary, though at times a nice plus. I know that over the years I have been guilty of buying some items which others, my wife in particular, have cringed at when they've seen them, but hey thats what makes the world go round.
Collectors over this side of the pond are limited for any type of American glass other than carnival, and I have a small collection of early Higgins which I have to import when I add new pieces as there is just nothing available over here.
Horses for courses
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand