No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: For Cambridge lovers thought I would share  (Read 5995 times)

Offline atruheart

• Members
For Cambridge lovers thought I would share
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 10:58:15 AM »
Thanks all for the warm welcome! I can not now while responding see the names of you all to respond...but want to say I am a collector of Higgins also!! And I also collect Danish and Swedish modern pieces.

This piece I showed you here although bizarre has a great story behind it. Oh yes forgot the base is hand applied and I believe the lady and the bowl are molded?? not quite sure but the story goes like this:

After a circus came to town the designers at Cambridge came up with this line of new glass. Too risque for some in that time (the 30's) so rarely were they displayed in the open when company was over..Anyways that is how it was named ect...I assume from the trapeze artists.

I am amazed at this piece...The other thing it has going for it  is the painted design which is a very popular one here Called Charelton Rose. So not only is there the Cambridge collector's interest but those who follow the Chareleton decorating line. Just an FYI I listed this piece on E and only did so yesterday. My reserve of has already been met and there is over 8 days left in the auction.
So that said...."beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and it holds true! These flying lady or the real name #40 Shell Bowl is a highly sought after piece of a Cambridge Glass art history and the story behind it's creation. The VERY VERY rare BLUE colored glass in this form is HIGHLY desireable and can go for thousands of dollars.

Anyways want to thank you all again for the Warm Welcome... :D I have been looking thru your threads here and see some American Glass! I'm getting to my books tomorrow to see if I can help some.

Theresa

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand