No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: How about glass beads?  (Read 4264 times)

Offline Kanadiana

• Members
How about glass beads?
« on: April 30, 2006, 07:29:44 AM »
This is a little different kind of glass and I hope it's alright
to post this in here? I post because maybe some of you will enjoy
these glass beads (for jewelry) by this lady. Maybe paperweight
lovers will like them? :D I just happened on the link while
searching for jewelry stones/beads suppliers.

http://kimmiles.homestead.com/BuyBeads.html

... and maybe I won the lotto tonight and can go on a shopping spree
tomorrow, online and off ... one hopes ... if I did, I'll remember that some of you have some pretties to sell :D

K.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline heartofglass

• Members
How about glass beads?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 09:50:53 AM »
Hi K,
thanks for sharing, they are lovely beads. :)
I think many of us glassies enjoy beads because they show the many techniques of glass-making in a miniature & wearable form. Plus you can have thousands of them & they take up hardly any space! :lol:
Unlike collections of vases,lamps,bowls,etc.....
I have heard of a theory that the first ever glass objects were beads & small bead-like amulets.
So beads occupy a very important place in the history of glass.
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Kanadiana

• Members
How about glass beads?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 07:05:30 PM »
Hi,

I don't know the lady with the glass beads whose links I gave you as I just happened on her link last night, and they reminded me of paperweights and marbles (which I've noticed mentioned in here too :) )  and I thought some of you might enjoy seeing these beads, which I think are beautifully done glass, though they are contemporary and not old antique or collectibles. To tell the truth I wasn't quite sure where to post about them in this forum and didn't do the marketplace area because my intention was not at all about flogging or promoting sales for that lady, and I also sort of half expected that I may be told that contemporary jewelry beads don't belong in this forum at all (but remembered the marbles and paperweights mentions in here :) I'm glad this forum is open to talk about glass beads too, which goes way back in history too, so thanks for letting me know that the subject is okay in here. I guess I should have used the search in here for beads before posting. Argh! ;)

If you think this thread/posts better belong in another category in here, or should not be in here at all, then they shouldn't :) Move or delete it as suits the appropriateness of this forum (which I'm still new to and learning about what suits and what doesn't in here. I'm the newcomer visitor and it's not my call when I'm so new to this stuff and place and don't know the ins/outs of it ) I'm learning though :D

K.

Offline Kanadiana

• Members
PS:
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 07:11:52 PM »
PS: That link to those particular works (beads) was the ONLY glass bead link I was impressed with as something special. I don't know of other contemporary links to be impressed with the creative skills as yet because I just started searching last night. I'm more interested in "old" glass stuff, but the beads above just stood out. ;)

Connie

How about glass beads?
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 09:34:32 PM »
Here is one of my favorite glass bead artists -

Kandice Seeber - Air and Earth Designs

http://www.airandearth.netfirms.com/

I have collected her pieces for years.

I have one of her earlier pieces for sale on my website.  It is a bracelet that she made before limiting her work to strictly beadmaking. I bought for myself but it was a little too big and I never had it resized  :oops:

Offline Kanadiana

• Members
How about glass beads?
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 10:05:34 PM »
Hi Connie, nice beads there!

All this browsing and talk of glass beads makes me
miss being able to do jewelry. My hands fail me for
most things now. If they 'worked" I think I'd take up
learning how to make glass in general ... beads, vases, bowls,
what have you. I've never seen a glass blower at work
but it would be fascinating to watch things being born.
Even more so to be the maker!

K.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
How about glass beads?
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 10:10:28 AM »
Hi K.

Beads have of course been an important source of income for glassmakers from early days and have also been used as a form of money as well as decoration. In the US, mostly, it has become an art form too.

Offline Kanadiana

• Members
How about glass beads?
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 04:50:15 PM »
Quote from: "Frank"
Hi K.

moved to the glass forum as the cafe is for shortlived chats and this is in interesting subject that has not been touched on much.

Hi Frank,

Thanks for letting me know :) Glass beads certainly do have their long history and value that IS very interesting - and world impacting when thinking about their role in the formation of North America.

I'm so new to this glass thing that I thought Murano was a glass designer, NOT a place :D and it was interesting to learn that Murano glass beads were, and are, such a large part of our early history here (I'm Canadian). Amazing to see these early beads, especially on Native clothing and accessories, are major collectibles and antiques, and so sought after these days by museums and collectors. Their history connection, and their beauty, smallness, and variety of uses, like decorative touches to lamps and such, make them pretty cool, hey? :)

When I was into making jewelry I stayed away from glass for the most part and used real stones, gems, and things like horn and bone, etc. I really didn't know or appreciate the history of glass back then. Too bad :(

K.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
How about glass beads?
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 05:20:29 PM »
Are you collecting beads, or is there anyone else looking in who does?

Buttons are a fairly established collecting field and I know of a few collectors but they are not to worried about the material the more sought after buttons fetch quite substantial money. Gathering info on the web for beads is not so easy as the emphasis is on there making or use for crafts. But there are a few:

Nice modern bead:

http://beadbugle.com/html/glass_beadst2.html

But these must be fun to hunt out:

http://www.ritaokrent.com/ancient01.htm

More links in our link list http://www.glass.co.nz/links.htm

Offline Kanadiana

• Members
How about glass beads?
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 05:50:22 PM »
Quote from: "Frank"
Are you collecting beads,

Hi again,

Not really "just to collect them" but I won't stop picking up
pieces now if I come across them and can afford them. I live on an extremely small and tight budget, but beads are fairly inexpensive and small. A good area to start collecting, and if selling, postage would be small as well! (I used to buy used necklaces and other jewelry that would work for me to break apart and remake them into earings and such)

Thanks for the links ... I'll check them out.

And buttons ... that's yet another whole different area LOL Many GLASS buttons out there too I'll bet!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand