No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: signature on glass bowl - ID = Gene Baxley for Zimmerman Art Glass  (Read 6081 times)

Offline greyfella

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • uk
hi,could anyone help identifiying signature on botton of this small bowl please,i think indiana then 1977 but cant get the rest,many thanks

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: signature on glass bowl
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 04:25:06 PM »
Hi there, could we have another shot rotated, and the whole item?

What I can figure out is it is from the place:  CORYDON, INDIANA (usa) 1977

The name looks to be something like HANS, or HAUS then BERRY or something like that.  Just guessing here.

========================================

There is a ZIMMERMAN ART GLASS STUDIO there.  Not sure how long they were around, or could it be one of their people.  If nothing else maybe you could email this studio and see if they can help you any with this piece ??
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline greyfella

• Members
    • glass
    • uk
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 06:28:52 PM »
hi,thank you very much   for information will try to get more pics up,

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 07:27:47 PM »
please upload a full picture of the bowl. 
This can help with id'ing a piece and also it is part of getting an id for glass - the information then stays on the board and the research that people have helped with has context.
Many thanks :)
m

Offline greyfella

• Members
    • glass
    • uk
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 08:41:48 PM »
not sure how pics are,53/4 across opening,31/2 ins tall and nearly 2ins across the base .slight scallop to top edge,5 bubbles with 5 smaller below upside down teardops?hope that helps,thanks

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 09:10:11 PM »
made by Gene Baxley who worked at Zimmerman Art Glass,Corydon, IN. Zimmerman was there since the 50's and is still there.
As a sidestory Gene Baxley was fired by Joe Zimmerman after Joe left on vacation and left Gene in charge and the factory burnt down. Several years later Gene came to the new factory and killed Joe and himself in a murder /suicide. Joe's sons ran it and one of them was tragically killed a few years ago in an attempt to rescue  some people in a boating accident, Kerry Zimmerman still runs  the company. btw: he's a good friend of mine.

Offline greyfella

• Members
    • glass
    • uk
Re: signature on glass bowl - ID = Gene Baxley for Zimmerman Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 09:31:11 PM »
thanks for all your information .a very sad story which would no doubt make mr baxley very unpopular.just shows that you never know quite what your getting when picking up these pieces,again many thanks

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 09:42:50 PM »
after Gene was fired he could never find another job and suffered from depression very badly. He never felt it was his fault the factory burnt down. A very sad story  for all. Mental illness can be very tragic.

Offline greyfella

• Members
    • glass
    • uk
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 09:46:47 PM »
same old story im afraid ,i was always told just because you cannot see it does mean its not there ,as you say tragic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand