No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ice Blue Scalloped Vase - ID = Sowerby Oxford pattern  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Ice Blue Scalloped Vase - ID = Sowerby Oxford pattern
« on: June 11, 2013, 03:33:41 AM »
Height 13.7cm
Largest dia, 13cm
Rim Dia.(scalloped) 12.8cm
Base dia.7.4cm
Weight Approx. 700kg

Can anyone help me identify this pressed vase please.   The inside is frosted and rough to touch and not patterned, where the outside is patterned and smooth. The textured design within the octagonal patterns (middle section) are not identical.  The top and lower hexagonal shapes are not consistant and vary slightly in shape and design around the vase.  I am also having difficulty in finding a match to this colour during my search and not sure if ice blue is the correct term to describe this.   During my searches I was not able to find a vase, bowl, etc.  with this type of pattern design.  The vase is rather heavy when you take into consideration the actual size.  Mainly around the base edge that is flat, is rippled and pitted, probably due to ware that can be seen under magnification.  Around the lower area of the vase  also has a textured pattern design in  rectangular shapes within each seam lines of the vase.  The area around each rectangular patterns measuring approx. 0.2cm wide, the glass is smooth.   I would very much be interested in knowing the origin and age of this vase. Thanks

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: I.d Request - Ice Blue Scalloped Vase?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 06:27:48 AM »
Sowerby Oxford (2481), could be 1930s through to late 1950s, though I suspect 50s rather than 30s.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Re: I.d Request - Ice Blue Scalloped Vase?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 07:06:58 PM »
I've  just acquired a large uranium jug Christine with the same pattern design.  Thank you ever so much for your positive I.d.  :).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand