No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart/W.F.s and the colour of Gold Amber.  (Read 901 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Stuart/W.F.s and the colour of Gold Amber.
« on: June 17, 2013, 03:50:30 PM »
A couple of recent posts in British Glass have discussed the Harrods 1934 exhibition, which showcased designs produced by contemporary artists, and with the glass being made by Stuart & Sons.

In the course of looking at the few pieces that can be found in the more easily available books, I became aware of a comment in the small booklet produced by Jeanete Hayhurst and Nigel Benson 'Art Deco To Post Modernism', that has me confused.

The comment appears to indicate that - during the period that William Wilson was at W/Fs. (from about 1933 I believe) - the colour 'gold amber' wasn't a W/Fs. colour'  -  the full wording of the comment is on page 12 in the booklet and forms part of the caption for the Stuart bowl, item No. 31.
However, according to Leslie Jackson, some of the most attractive cut and moulded pieces from this factory were produced in 'gold amber' according to designs by William Willson, during the 1930 and 1940 period.
Unfortunately, images in the 'Art Deco......'  booklet are in black and white only, but the booklet caption does describe the colour of Stuart bowl No. 31 as 'gold amber', but says that this wasn't a W/Fs. colour.

According to Jackson, the decription 'gold amber' became the standard name for this colour after the 1914 - 18 war, and remained so until 1949 when it was changed slightly to 'golden amber'  -  apparently the colour was dropped completely after 1962, and 'tangerine' emerged in 1969 (but just to confuse things a 'bright golden amber' was re-introduced in 1978).

So hope either Nigel or one of the other knowledgeable people are able to clarify for me  -  quite likely I'm being Mr. Thicky and probably I've mis-understood something somewhere along the line:)

Ref.    'Whitefriars Glass - The Art of James Powell & Sons'  -    Edited by Leslie Jackson  -  produced 1996 to accompany the Museum of London exhibition.

Offline stevejl

• Members
Re: Stuart/W.F.s and the colour of Gold Amber.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 09:35:10 PM »
Paul,
I suspect what Nigel or Jeanette were trying to say is that this particular example, in gold-amber, is not the gold-amber that Whitefriars made, and therefore was not designed by William Wilson.
Whitefriars definitely made gold-amber for a number of years (from the 1st WW till 19632, as you and Jackson note), but it was quite distinct and different to the amber used by other manufacturers. The colour was used during Wilson's time at Wf.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,              Steve L   :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 02:38:24 PM »
Hi Steve - my thanks for taking the time to reply. :)

My understanding of your explanation is that you are saying simply that whilst having the same word description of 'gold amber', in reality this apparently similar colour from the two factories was quite different in looks - and I suspect you're right and that was exactly was the two authors were implying.                 My rather simple brain had talked itself into thinking that the caption was suggesting that 'W/Fs hadn't produced a gold amber during William Wilson's time'  -  which as we all know wasn't the case.

Having said that the two factories produced a 'gold amber' which differs noticeably, I'm not sure that 'this difference' is always that marked - the appearance of a colour can be due to a variety of factors, not the least of which is thickness of glass, and I've seen Stuart pieces that would run a close race for a match with W/Fs 'gold amber'.        I think most collectors associate the expression 'gold amber' much more with W/Fs than Stuart, anyway, and I certainly see more pieces of the former in this colour - for whatever reason the only remotely common pattern in Stuart 'gold amber' that I see is the Stratford Rings design.

I guess we should blame the factories (and Miller's to some extent ;)) for contributing to the confusion.............     the Stuart factory produced a sales brochure in the early 1930's where they used the description 'golden amber', which was the exact name that W/Fs appropriated in 1949, and Stuart had this colour in production in the late 1920's  -  albeit quite some years after W/Fs had originated the name  'gold amber'.

Miller's describe this colour variously as  'gold amber' and more commonly as simply 'amber'.........and then the same publication speaks of a geometrically cut vase by William Wilson as simply 'yellow'. ;)

Anyway, thanks again for the clarification. :)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 10:55:20 PM »
I am grateful to me learned friend  ;) Many thanks Steve for a very cogent reply  :)

When producing a catalogue in black and white if one has to refer to, and describe colour, it is not easy, and is always likely to lead to confusion.

I could perhaps excuse myself, and point out that my partner in crime produced the captions in record time after a big problem with the photography (meaning that every picture had to be taken again, or there would've been no catalogue) thus affecting the amount of time available to write those captions  and get the printing done prior to the beginning of the exhibition, but I much prefer the explanations given above  :o ;) :)

Whilst the two companies produced what is referred to as 'Gold Amber', I believe Jeanette was trying to point out that the colour that Stuart used was not the same as that made by Whitefriars and the wording is incorrect and thus misleading.

Nigel

PS. Perhaps a PM, followed by a correction in the relevant 'Stickey' might have served the purpose?? :(

PPS. Welcome to the board Steve.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand