No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bowl RD 831491 (Australia Reg. 18002), 1898-9 - ID = Davidson  (Read 1404 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
A clear pressed glass bowl with a fluted rim, sixteen times repeated chevron pattern to the sides and sixteen pointed star to the base.  It measures 7 ˝” (191mm) in diameter and stands 2 1/8” (54mm) tall.

Two registered design numbers on it, “British 331481” and  “Australia 19002“.

Registration details not listed at
http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/regnos05.htm
and not in Thompson or Slack.

Too early for the Blue Book, I think.

[An online  search for  registered design 331481 at TNA simply gives a printed textile design (Class 10) dated 22 January 1879, so obviously the ‘wrong’ 331481 with a date lozenge, not a simple number].

Could, perchance, some kind member let me have the precise registration details, please?  (Registration date should be some time in December 1898 or January 1899).

If not, then I suppose it’s the GMB RD look-up again – sorry, Paul!

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
you've probably exhausted the printed sources then, Fred.

Makes me think of a possible Davidson item, with these U.K. and Oz Nos..........Anyway, according to TNA, the Representation reference for your No. - assuming it does occur in that period, is BT 50/341, which covers Rd. Nos. 331101 to 331660..................
and the Register reference is BT 51/98, which covers Rd. Nos. 329513 to 333669 for the period November 1898 to February 1899.

Did you forget that there are two identical series of Rd. Nos.   .......one for the lozenges and the other without them ;)

I'll do my best to look when I next go to Kew. :)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Thank you, Paul.

Definitely not in any of the listings of Davidson RD numbers

No, I didn't forget the duplication of registration numbers for lozenges and numbers, which is why I mentioned that the 'lozenge' 331481 revealed by the online TNA search was for the Class 10 textile design of 1879.

I'll put RD 331481 on the GMB RD look-up then.

Fred.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
This looks like the Davidson 940 pattern, which was registered in the UK as 831491 - note the numbers which could be misread as 331481 on a poor pressing...  Davidson Glass (Stewart & Stewart) gives the info that RD 831491 is pattern 940 and that it was registered in Australia as 18002 (again easy to misread as 19002 depending on the pressing).
Image & info online here: http://www.cloudglass.com/r19311945.htm
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I knew it looked familiar and too "modern" for Victorian

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Thank you, Anne - an inspired piece of lateral thinking. Query resolved!

Apologies to Paul - you were quite correct about about the Davidson attribution.

I must say it had niggled at me, too, that  there seemed something familar and '1930-ish' about it, but I just couldn't place it at the time. I had even tried substitution of single digits in case of a misreading but nothing seemed to click.

Now that I've checked up, though, I do actually have a reference photo for RD 831491, but it is for a whole 7-piece fruit set as opposed to a single dish. I really do need to acquaint myself with the Art Deco pieces more often.

Anne, could you remove RD 331481 from the GMB RD look-up list, please? - thereby saving poor Paul a fruitless search at TNA.

Would it be it appropriate to change/correct the topic header, too, to avoid future confusion?

Fred.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Bowl RD 831491 (Australia Reg. 18002), 1898-9 - ID = Davidson
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 02:20:39 PM »
Both done as requested, Fred. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia