No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 1950's Murano "Grand Prize" Brussels Vase  (Read 4404 times)

Offline jotz34

• Members
1950's Murano "Grand Prize" Brussels Vase
« on: May 01, 2006, 03:03:40 PM »
Hi, this vase measures about 6.75 inches tall and is a purplish color with a green that appears to have a vaseline glass glow. The sticker reads "Murano, Grand Prize, Genuine Venetian Glass, World's Fair, Brussels". Can anyone suggest some possible artists?
Thanks
http://i1.tinypic.com/wvzm1d.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/wvznmo.jpg
Jean, Silver Spring, MD USA

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 04:49:32 PM »
Nice piece of quality sommerso, almost certainly Seguso Vetri d'Arte and designed by Flavio Poli as they were a major exhibitor at this event and I've had pieces with both this label and the company labels as well.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 12:40:31 AM »
What style.  Really stunning piece!  What's also nice is that it appears to be in perfect condition.  If it makes its way to eBay, I'll be sure to place a bid or two.
Charles.

Offline jotz34

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 01:11:12 AM »
Thanks to all for the responses so far. From what I have seen on internet sites it does appear to be Poli as you suggested. It does have a very small "flea bite" at base which is on the clear part of the glass and is only seen at certain angles - but for $3.00 I won't complain.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 02:27:08 PM »
How interesting - I also have a piece from the Brussels fair in 1958 - a picture of my vase and a closeup of the label are below.  I bought this a few months ago not knowing that my mother had attended the fair as a young woman with her parents - coincidence eh?  Anyway, Peter is this the type of green one you mentioned earlier in this thread?

http://tinypic.com/x1mz44.jpg
http://tinypic.com/x1mxl3.jpg

I originally bought it to sell on in my eBay shop but haven't been able to part with it yet - it's such a nice piece and I paid a reasonable sum for it (for me anyway!).

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 03:18:02 PM »
Hi Pip
Thanks for posting - very interesting piece. The colors in your pic are pretty clear but I can't tell for sure if either the casing or inner layers of your are uranium or not.
I suspect not but do you have a blacklight to test it ?

The other item (that Chuugy and I were debating) which, like jotz34's item, does have a uranium casing layer is shown in this topic http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,5188.0.html

jotz34 Please may we know your firstname or nickname - it's more friendly and I'm sure, more memorable ! Thanks
Pete

Offline jotz34

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 06:09:40 PM »
Hi, My daughter has a black light pen from The Spy Museum around here somewhere. I will track it down and add a couple pics in a bit. Thanks to all.
Jean

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 06:31:58 PM »
Pip I think your piece is also Seguso Vetri d'Arte and by Poli, any more while we're on a roll.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 08:13:47 PM »
excellent  :D  - ty Paul for the confirmation - mine was abit more expensive than Jean's (who said she paid $3 - nice one Jean!) but still one of my better buys I reckon).

Offline jotz34

• Members
Poli? Murano Vase
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 12:43:42 AM »
Sorry, my name is Jean. Thanks for all the help and comments. Tinypics.com seems to be down right now so I will add the photos I took as soon as it is back up.
Jean

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand