No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early Sowerby Pressed Glass High Level Bridge Mug c1850  (Read 1228 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Early Sowerby Pressed Glass High Level Bridge Mug c1850
« on: June 29, 2013, 08:56:35 PM »
A nice find today a pressed glass mug thought most likely to have been made by Sowerby in the early 1850's.
The mug commemorates the the opening of the High Level Bridge over the River Tyne in 1852.

The mug has the inscriptions HIGH LEVEL BRIDGE NEWCASTLE ON TYNE. COMMENCED APRIL 24 1846. OPENED JANUARY 16 1850.
A railway train can be seen crossing the bridge.

Roy

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Early Sowerby Pressed Glass High Level Bridge Mug c1850
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 01:11:13 AM »
Roy — a lovely and unexpected find.   Congratulations.

I've checked it with my photographs of the two plates I had marked SOWERBY'S PATENT, made under J.G. Sowerby's patent No. 2433 of 15 September 1871 for Ornamenting pressed glass with design in glass of a different colour, again well before the peacock's head TM was introduced c.1876.   It looks as if the same set of hardened steel punches was used for both inscriptions.

Let me have some exact lettering dimensions* and more close-ups of the lettering if you want me to check this further.   Unfortunately my material dates back about a decade — before I fully appreciated the importance of mouldmakers' alphanumeric punches in attributing glass — so I kept no measurements other than the overall diameter of the two plates.   At least I have enough information to do the calculations.

* — Please use millimetres, decimals of an inch, or binary fractions of an inch (like 64ths or 32nds), whichever you're happiest with.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 10:37:27 AM »
nice piece Roy, good find. :)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 06:32:09 PM »
Thank you Bernard

I have checked all the lettering and they all seem to be 6 millimetres in height except for April and Januy which seem to be nearer 5mm.

I have added some close ups of the lettering.

Roy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand