No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pilgrim or poison bottle?  (Read 980 times)

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
Re: Pilgrim or poison bottle?
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 06:21:26 PM »
Hi.
       Sue, sorry but i think your bear needs its bugs scratching , the pontil mark is left by the punty rod not the blowing iron , punty rods are solid and of course blowing irons are hollow , there are some early continental blown pieces which display a hollow tube like pontil mark and its thought this was for economy and blowing irons were also used as punt rods , but in the vast majority of blown glass the punty rod is the creator of the pontil mark,

cheers ,
             Peter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 07:56:26 PM »
to avoid confusion with other features/blemishes/irregularities on the base of any glass object..........I'd prefer to see 'pontil scar' used to describe the rough/broken/snapped remains of glass when the punty rod is removed.       
The word 'mark' could apply to other aspects of the glass, and might give rise to mis-understanding. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline NMott

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 08:03:03 PM »
I suspect it's recycled glass, made in Spain, too. Especially after coming across this one on Etsy

http://www.etsy.com/listing/85162630/vintage-blue-glass-bottle-vase-made-in

If it was really old I'd expect to see the iron deposits around the ring at the neck and not just at the pontil. Looks like the 'dirt' at the pontil is a result of a sloppy manufacturing process, rather than burial.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 08:12:13 PM »
You wouldn't get iron around the ring; it's applied as a trail of molten glass while the bottle was on the pontil rod. The iron is left behind when the bottle is snapped off the rod. It's nothing to do with burial. I have several Victorian pieces with such marks.
The Spanish bottle doesn't have much in common with this one.

Offline Joscyn

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Swedish and Czech glass
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 08:23:53 PM »
Thank you all for your interest, which has given me a lot of information about this bottle (and about glass terminology).  I appreciate your time and the informed debate that has ensued.
It may have been buried at some point as there is very ingrained dirt in some of the ribs around the band at the neck.
Yours sincerely, 
Ian
Brighton

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 12:54:22 PM »
 ;)

Always happy to be corrected! I do get my rods and pipes muxed-ip, and I agree, wholeheartedly that pontil scar is a vastly superior term to pontil mark

Thank-you Peter and Paul
(.... hmmmm, I'm sure there's a song about two little birdies there!)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand