No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Crystal Geometric Structure etch marked FM  (Read 7349 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: Crystal Geometric Structure
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 09:41:17 AM »
I have seen an Icicle shaped sided flat based bowl with this FM logo on it being sold as 'Faro Marcolin'.  It did sell, and at the time I did find out that it was not Marcolin, but will have to search long and hard through my notes to find out the company.  I do know it was German though, so you are on the right trail. It was being sold on USA eBay.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
Glass Shard Sculpture on here in around Sept 2013... mystery solved!
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 03:22:44 PM »
In around September 2013, someone posted a picture of an interesting glass shard sculpture and asked if anyone knew the maker or origin of it
I captured the picture so that I could investigate it and see if I could find the maker, and have continued searching from time to time.  Today I found the answer,  It is the Snow Leopard Sculpture by Franklin Mint and clearly it is the base only and the Snow Leopard has either been removed or became detached.
I am enclosing a link to the Pinterest site where I saw the full sculpture and also a picture of the original post here on GMB.
I do not remember who the person was that posted the sculpture,  but whoever you were, I hope you see this and now know what it is. In the meantime, if you have already found out,  then I apologise for wasting your time. :)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.pinterest.com/pin/100486635408019950/
Rosie.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery

Offline rosieposie

• Members
Re: Glass Shard Sculpture on here in around Sept 2013... mystery solved!
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 09:10:43 PM »
Thank you so much Christine.... I always say I never give up!! 
Please can one of the Moderators merge these  so that otis orlando gets to see the answer to his question?
Rosie.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
Re: Crystal Geometric Structure etch marked FM
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 09:27:57 PM »
During all this searching I did find out that the FM etched mark is definately Franklin Mint and definately not Fare Marcolin, so just to assure you Gareth ( Morgan48) , the piece that you saw sold as Fare Marcolin was in fact German made Franklin Mint.

There are a lot of pieces of glass that look a bit like very fancy Wine Bottle Coasters with ice like sides or lage Snow Crystals, that are so often sold as Fare Marcolin Konstglas because they have this etched FM logo. 

It has become urban myth and therefor 'truth', but is in fact incorrect.
Rosie.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 04:49:14 PM »
It is the Snow Leopard Sculpture by Franklin Mint
Franklin Mint (now owned by another company) was an American distributor of collectibles. They had a wide range of items, and not just in glass. Many (or was it all?) of their ranges were made for them by other companies (such as Baccarat for a range of Sulphide paperweights).

It seems likely that Otis's example of the base to the Snow Leopard sculpture (1st post in this merging of threads) with its "Germany" label could be correct for the country of manufacture - especially as the "FM" mark includes a copyright symbol rather just being a regular maker's make.

It would be interesting to see if we could find the actual German company that made these. And could it be possible that a common base was made for a variety of sculptures?
KevinH

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 05:13:48 PM »
It is definitely correct that the Germany label is right for that piece and there was a full set of pieces all with different crystal bases on a similar 'shard' theme and each holding a different animal. There was a white tiger, an eagle a normal coloured leopard and so on.
Many, including this one are pictured on this link:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=franklin+crystal+sculptures&biw=1260&bih=794&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=g6-VVJK3AYr5UpSyhKAL&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

Must have been a lovely collection if you had them all.
Rosie.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 09:33:58 PM »
And here is another in the series... just to add to this thread. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122058827804?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Rosie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand