No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Looking for help in identifying a Bimini/Lauscha ? figurine  (Read 2814 times)

Offline susan pask

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass figurines
    • France
I am eager to learn something about a figurine that I have inherited from my mother.  She had a big collection of ordinary glass animal figurines which were all on display, but this one was always kept carefully in its original box and cotton wool, so I perceived it as something special.  It is to my untutored eyes incredibly delicate, the tallest figure being just over an inch high and the smaller exactly an inch, and exquisitely detailed.  Perhaps it is nothing out of the ordinary, to connoisseurs of glass figurines, but I would dearly like to know anything more about it that you could tell me.  Sadly the woman's ankle is snapped so that she no longer stands on the branch, and as for the flowers I am not sure they ever were attached to the branch or where they fit. It has the name R Shadbolt written in pencil on the box and I thought that may have been the maker, but have not found that name anywhere online.  Any information at all will be very much appreciated. An online auction site gave me the name Bimini/Lauscha but I don't know if that is at all accurate.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: Looking for help in identifying a Bimini/Lauscha ? figurine
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 03:49:46 PM »
Hello Susan, and welcome to the Glass Message Board.

What a wonderful piece.... albeit a little damaged.  I would ask AngelaBowey, the provider of this site, and email Chris Burley on this piece as both of them will be very interested, and may be able to give information to help you.

As you are a new member,  perhaps you won't mind if I alert then to this on your behalf?
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline susan pask

• Members
    • glass figurines
    • France
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 09:25:10 PM »
Rosie, thank you so much for taking an interest in this.  Yes, please do notify anyone who may be interested, I am totally new to the site and unfamiliar with the procedures - I will be absolutely delighted if anyone has anything to tell me about the piece.  Thanks again!

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 10:26:24 PM »
I have messages Angela and Chris,  but they may be on holiday... others will see your question and may well answer,  so be patient Susan,  sometimes it can take a while to get an answer,  other times it is all over in a few days,  so lets hope someone replies soon. :)
Rosie.

Offline Angela B

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Author & Researcher
    • glass (all) cats (all) bridge
    • New Zealand and UK
    • The Glass Encyclopedia
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
Hi Susan,
Welcome to the Glass Message Board. I wish I could give you a positive identification of those lovely figurines. All I can tell you is that they are too detailed for Bimini, and I don't recognise them as Komaromy. They are most likely to be Lauscha.
Best wishes
Angela
Bimini Glass book - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1090649789
Pirelli Glass book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1484086309
New Zealand Glass book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BT0ND3Q
London Lampworkers book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BHRQS9W
Bagley Glass book - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1544083882
Children's book about cats - https://www.amazon.co.uk//dp/B08CD46QY2

Offline ikdaughter

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 11:29:35 AM »
Hello Susan.  What an interesting piece!  My father, Istvan Komaromy had a great interest in Pan and greek mythology - many of his pieces reflect this and I have pre-war photos of a number of Pans, to which this is very similar.  The nude is more elementary than the majority of his work but perhaps that was due to the size. I have recently been bequeathed a one inch fairy pulling a ball, very sweet and quite beautiful, made by my father many years ago so I know he did make 'miniatures'.  I am not saying that I can verify it as 100% his work as the base is unusual - but again I have photographic examples of similar pre-war designs.  However I suggest that unless there's good evidence to the contrary. it most likely is his work.
 I should love to see it as "the feel" of his work and the specific glass sometimes clinches ownership.  Do let me know if you're anywhere near Surrey and/or if you ever want to part with it!
Best wishes
Chris(tine)

Offline ikdaughter

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 11:31:54 AM »
Susan - I should add that I don't think the flowers were made by him.

Offline susan pask

• Members
    • glass figurines
    • France
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 01:30:24 PM »
Hello Chris, Hello Angela,
Thank you so much for looking so closely in my piece.  This is very exciting, I'm delighted to hear that it is a bit special and interesting, it always felt so to me.  Chris, I am in France, but would be delighted to send the piece to you for inspection. Unfortunately things being what they are these days I am obliged to sell it, but in the meantime anything you could tell me about it would be of immense interest. This is turning out to be a double edged sword because the more I look at it and learn about it the less I want to sell it, but I have to.  One interesting thing: on the outside of the box, in the same writing (not that of my father or mother) is written 'Fairy on waterlily, also fairy with ball, 1 swan'. As regards the flowers there is no obvious place for them to attach to the branch, so I think perhaps they were just in the same box. Anyway please let me know where and I will post it to you in the original box so you can see and handle it. 

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 11:39:55 PM »
Oh Susan,  I am nearly as excited as you about this...  I just seem to have an instinct about these pieces... I do hope we will hear more after you have sent it to Chris for her to see. 

If you are not used to packing glass and need advice on these delicate pieces,  I will happily help, as there are some definite 'do's' and 'don'ts'.

Feel free to PM me on the envelope to the left of this link and I will reply immediately. This is too delicate and precious a piece to take risks with and I know Chris will take great care with it.
Rosie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand