No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Krosno heavy-based wine glasses  (Read 9839 times)

Offline Andy_R

• Members
Krosno heavy-based wine glasses
« on: May 03, 2006, 11:35:55 AM »
Hello

Firstly, let me apologise for being a hopeless newbie with a question that is probably going to make me sound very silly, and/or a complete phillistine.

I'm in the process of getting divorced, which means that our small collection of modern glassware is now 2 even smaller collections. I ended up with all the decorative vases and bowl we bought from the glassworks at Mdina in Gozo, Malta and my wife took the nice glasses and decanters - which I would like to replace with identical ones, as I really liked them.

We bought the glasses new, in a shop called 'Wow" in Norwich in the late 90s. They had a very distinctive quirky modern design that I'm sure somebody on this forum will recognise. The top half of the wine glass was  traditionally shaped, but where you would expect the stem to be, there was a very thick and heavy solid lump of clear glass, only tapering slightly inwards from the base and top.

I remember seeing the same design in several similarly 'yuppified' shops around that time (the sort of shops that sell Alessi brand kitchen products), so I suspect they are quite common. I'm not 100% sure of the maker's name, as this was shown on a small sticker that came off, but I have a fairly similar glass bowl bought at the same shop at the same time that has "Krosno Poland" on it, and the matching decanter had (if memory serves me right) a sticker saying "LSA Krosno" on it. We also bought matching shot glasses with a similar wide 'stem', and the shop also had champagne flutes, which we didn't get.

The shop has closed long ago, and my attempt at searching the web (and this site) for LSA and Krosno has drawn a blank (or at least if I did find something useful my inability to read Polish is the problem!).

Can anyone help me track down a replacement set?

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 12:00:05 PM »
Welcome Andy
Several of us here are fans of Krosno glassware - me included !! So you are in good company but finding replacements is not easy as they seem to change the style / models fairly frequently. Use Google and/ or Yahoo image searches to see if you can identify the names of the models you want.

I am still looking to replace a Krosno whisky  tumbler bought in the mid 80s probably at Habitat. You might try there if they still exist.  :roll:

LSA used to import mainly Krosno. Now they have their own design studio and contact to a number of makers in Poland and possibly elsewhere.

Divorce is never easy - sympathies, but value-wise you probably did better than your ex, as Krosno was never very expensive and Maltese art glass has become quite collectable. If you can't find the Krosno you want buying vintage 70's & 80's Dartington would be an investment IMHO (in my humble opinion). It's even better in quality and obtainable cheaply on Ebay.

To learn more about LSA & Krosno, read our previous discussions. Find them by using the Search function above.
Pete

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 01:04:08 PM »
Hi Andy,
The glasses sound like these.
The design is called Isola. It's illustrated in the introduction to Lesley Jackson's book, Twentieth Century Factory Glass. They were LSA - although I think I'm correct in saying that LSA contract out the manufacturing, so it's quite possible they were actually made by Krosno. I found two in a charity shop ages ago, but I've never seen anymore.

As Peter says, replacements can be difficult to find. If you like the wide stems, another possibility to look at might be the Aarne or Tapio ranges manufactured by Iittala.

robbo
robbo

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 01:21:26 PM »
Hi Andy,
 :D
LSA still make glasses similar to the ones posted by Robbo, they are expensive and sold in sets of 6, but available in the UK.

Here is the link: http://www.onthetable.co.uk/product.php?sproductID=94
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Andy_R

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 02:19:24 PM »
Thanks to you all for the welcome, and for tracking down so much information for me so quickly.

The glasses were definitely the "Isola" style that robbo linked above - I'm now off to read up some more of the LSA/Krosno threads, now that I know I'm in the right place!

Thanks again!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 02:28:36 PM »
:D:D:D

Hi! Sympathies with your unpleasant current situation. :(

Caithness made glasses in this shape too - but I've only seen them with amethyst bowls.

I agree with Peter though, wineglasses can be replaced, but the Mdina cannot! :D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand