No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: September Morn Pressed Glass Mirror Centrepiece  (Read 1920 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
September Morn Pressed Glass Mirror Centrepiece
« on: July 14, 2013, 03:48:14 PM »
I have 2 of the September Morn centrepiece with the mirrors which as far as I know still maker unknown. Both of the ones I have still have a label on the bowl 'British Prov. PATENT No 19614'. Both also had another label on the front of the bowl , one has been peeled of completely, while one still has the remains but not able to read. I think the first word is British and the last word ending in BASET , but not sure about the B and there may be another letter on the end.

Just asked my daughter and she thought it looked like MIRRASET.

Not sure if this will help ID the piece .

Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
Re: September Morn Pressed Glass Mirror Centrepiece
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 04:21:09 PM »
Hi Roy
I have always wondered if Bagley made these as especially the green frosted version my mum has is a typical Bagley green?
Nige
"Ive had a wonderful evening.....unfortunately this wasnt it!"  Groucho Marx

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 04:50:11 PM »
Nige

I was thinking that the frosted blue was very Bagley like to .

Roy

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 01:57:16 PM »
Roy that is a very, very cool piece. Ken

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 10:49:16 AM »
Doesn't the September Morn figure often come with the same bowls that pair up with the cherubs pedestal base, which I think was ID'd on here as Schweig, Müller & Co?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 11:19:14 AM »
It may be that the patent applies to the whole assembly with mirrors and that this set was just assembled here. I must admit that the green has never struck me as being Bagley, though I can't find my girly to check

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 11:21:09 AM »
I have just bought a September Morn figure and she came complete with a 'Cherry' bowl, frog and plinth which I think I am right in saying has been identified here as by Schweig Muller. The seller believes this is a complete set bought in the 1930's by their great Aunt.

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 09:46:31 PM »
Just to add another set into the mix for the September Morn figure, I just purchased this mirror and stand and I added a September Morn figure as I have seen the plinth/vase with such a figure previously, but this is the first time I have seen the mirror. Following on from Nigel's thoughts on this being made by Bagley and having chatted with him regarding this piece and the Posy vase made by Bagley there is a strong resemblance between all the pieces. Any further thoughts on this ??

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 10:53:25 PM »
I always suspected the one piece version of this figure and frog was Bagley. I bought one a while back which came with an Osprey bowl. The colours were a good match. Likewise I've seen green frosted examples which look very Bagley in terms of colour and finish. In contrast the two part version has a finer satin finish and does seem to match the Schweig Mueller pieces. Thus I thought this was one of those cases where the same shape was made by different makers.This is not unknown with Bagley (e.g. the wide Wyndham vase, the various bits which match Czech pieces, etc.). The plinth in the mirror set matching the Elf pattern so well also tends to support the Bagley attrubtion.

That said, without any firm evidence such as pattern books or ads, the above is all just speculation...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand