No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Irridescent glass paperweight signed OBG  (Read 7335 times)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Irridescent glass paperweight signed OBG
« on: May 03, 2006, 04:11:25 PM »
Hiya, today I bought a beautiful irridescent glass paperweight with trails - it's signed to the base with  'OBG'.  I don't know very much about paperweights but bought it because it's so decorative and wasn't particularly expensive.   Can anyone tell me anything about the company, period of manufacture etc?  I'll post some photographs later when little'un is in bed and I can get my camera out.  Thanks ...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 10:25:58 AM »
Hi Pip,

OBG = Ornamental Blown Glass, Lynnwood, WA, USA.  :D
Maybe some of the American members can give you a bit more information.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 02:30:47 PM »
Thanks Della - that gives me something to start with.  I'll post a picture of it here as well in a min (Tinypics wasn't working properly yesterday) - it's a beautiful blue irridescent finish, like the colours of a dragonfly and I do love glittery, shiny things.

Offline ttttootall

• Members
  • For the LOVE of GLASS
    • South Carolina (USA)
Re: Irridescent glass paperweight signed OBG
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 10:38:14 AM »
"Ornamental Blown Glass" (OBG)
Lynnwood, WA, USA
"Ornamental Blown Glass" or "OBG" is a hot glass blowing studio--located in Lynwood, WA, just outside of Seattle--that has had some very well-known artists on their staff over the years, mostly as they have been coming up and before going out on their own. Some of them are listed here:

Mariusz Rynkiewicz: Now famous glass blower, Mariusz Rynkiewicz, accepted a position of gaffer at Ornamental Blown Glass. He worked there from 1989 until 1995. During this period, Mariusz looked for ways to further develop his glass-blowing artistry. In 1992, he studied with Dante Marioni at the Pilchuck Glass School in Stanwood, Washington; and a year later, with Lino Tagliapietra at Pratt Fine Art Center in Seattle. Also in 1993, Mariusz became an instructor of glass blowing at the Pratt Fine Art Center. In 1995, Mariusz fulfilled his lifelong dream by becoming designer, gaffer, and owner of Studio Rynkiewicz in Everett, Washington.

Jack Pine, well-known for his glass pumpkins, worked for Ornamental Blown Glass in Seattle and Maytum Glass Studio in Boulder, Colorado. Jack originally worked in several mediums. When choosing glass as his favorite, Pine founded his own studio, Jack Pine Studio.

Surely there are others, but this is what I could find on-line without investing an inordinate amount of time.
Tony

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
Re: Irridescent glass paperweight signed OBG
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 02:55:30 PM »
I visited the factory once in the 90's. At that time they were also making lots of Christmas Balls. I also had a brochure of theirs but sold it a couple of years ago. At that time they had unique electric furnaces that were powered by sending the electric directly thru the glass and not using silicon carbide or moly elements to heat it with convection/radiant heat. At that time they told me they were buying electricity for about $.03-,05/KW. I think there were quite a few glassworkers that were there for different intervals of time. That was the time that the Seattle glass community really expanded.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand