No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Agatin Opaline Glass - Buquoysche Glashütte - Bohemia?  (Read 4580 times)

Offline sawi

• Members
    • Austria
Agatin Opaline Glass - Buquoysche Glashütte - Bohemia?
« on: July 16, 2013, 07:22:47 PM »
hello, could anybody confirm that this flacon is an agatin opaline glass produced by buquoysche glashüttte?
i bought the flacon (unfortunately without plug and damaged) a few years ago, but i didn't know what it is.
since that time the only one i could found what looks very similar is the agatin opaline glass from the buquoysche glashütte.
the flacon is 6,4 cm high.

thanks in advance!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Agatin Opaline Glass - Buquoysche Glashütte - Bohemia?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 11:19:30 PM »
that's stunning glass  :o
Is it  quite see through?  I don't have my books at the mo to check but I will look later or in the morning and see if there is anything in them to match.   I thought the Bohemian opalines always seemed quite opaque when I look at pictures but it is difficult to tell from photos.  Just wondering if it might be French maybe?  Or do you not get that feeling.  It's not so angular as the Bohemian pieces, but that's just a feeling.
It doesn't look as opaque and streaky lithyalin-like as this for example if you see what I mean about opaque and transparency?
http://www.antiquitaeten-schlemmer.de/glas/assets/glas-agatin-dose_gr1.jpg
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline sawi

• Members
    • Austria
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 08:09:06 AM »
hi flying free, thanks for your comment!

in the "passauer museum" there  is a vitrine with about 15 pieces.
they look all a bit different: some of them are more opaquer than the others. and a few look exactly like mine.
also the gold decor on the neck of my flacon is accurate the same.

french? i didn't know that they made similar pieces.

greetings
sandra

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 09:06:19 AM »
I think Graf Bucquoy is a distinct possibility. He made a lot of breathtaking pieces and invented lots of weird colours. I cannot say I've seen many of his pieces "in the wild" - they all seem to be firmly in the hand of museums and collections.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 11:38:38 AM »
Hi, well if there is one the same in the museum with the same gilding then that is a good thing to go on :)

I have looked in the book Das Bohmische Glas band II pages 167-170.
In the book 10 pieces are shown under the heading Bunte Hyalith- und Agatinglaser. 
One piece is green, one is cream and the others are all shades of purple. 
All have a cut angular foot as opposed to a curvy ribbed foot such as your piece.

What they all seem to have in common is that they are quite opaque and thick and some look very slightly streaky to me, although it's difficult to tell from the photos.  I would have thought that might be why they were named 'agatinglas' i.e. agate like?

One piece has that gilded star motif in a decorative band, the same star motif as your piece. page 167  left hand becher.
They are all dated c1834.

I suppose what I am thinking is maybe yours is made by Buquoysche Glashutten but would not be called Agatinglas? and that maybe stylistically it's a little later than 1834?  It's less angular than the pieces shown, perhaps the style moved on a little?
And would yours be called Opaline glass rather than Agatinglas if you see what I mean?

I'll keep looking through the book and see if there is anything similar in style as well. I couldn't see anything else in this beautiful purple colour from any other make than Bucquoysche Glashutten though.

Yes the French did make beautiful coloured opaline glass including a colour called 'gorge de pigeon' which was a beautiful purple pink colour.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 11:56:38 AM »
adding to my post above, on page 52 of the book there is also a red Henkelbecher mit Deckel in Roter Hyalith that also has the same star motif gilded and it's attributed as probably Buquoysche Glashutten dated 1822-140.
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 12:06:04 PM »
google image search for lithyalin (imitating precious stone) and hyalith (solid black)  both innovations from Count Bucquoy - it will show many different styles and colours.

Offline sawi

• Members
    • Austria
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 02:01:41 PM »
many thanks for your help!

it isn't the same in the museum - only the glass look identical but not the shape (sorry, i didn't mention it previously)
i must buy the book - i've only "Das Böhmische Glas - Band VI" :)

i've searched for lithyalin pictures, but they're look different to my piece.
my flacon looks opaque but it's also a little bit translucent in some places.
the neck of the flacon is very light marbled like the lithyalin glass (it's unapparent at the photos - it's impossible to photograph - sorry)
the colour changes from lilac, strong pink to rose with a light blue and peach-coloured gleam.

i've found two items where it's obvious what i tried to describe:
http://www.glas-forschung.info/pageone/pdf/lith.pdf
on page 14: item #23 there you can see very good the light blue gleam but mine isn't so translucent and #24 looks very identical to my piece from the translucency.

and also on this item which looks very similar to mine you can see the light translucency:
http://www.rubylane.com/item/518922-213dm-3/Antique-Buquoysche-Bohemian-Glass-Biedermeier

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 04:10:59 PM »
Hi

the book 'Glanz und Farbe' - shows examples of this pretty much exact colour -attributed Graf Bucquoy but also the U(P)M in Prague -in their store rooms-  has pretty close colour versions that are definitely Harrach. -Both did these kinds of scent bottle shapes alas I couldn't find the exact shape in either source.

Cheers

Mike

Offline sawi

• Members
    • Austria
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 06:37:12 PM »
thanks a lot for the information, mike!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand