No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: this the same weight?  (Read 3899 times)

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
this the same weight?
« on: July 18, 2013, 01:38:28 PM »

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
Re: this the same weight?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 06:04:19 PM »
looks like its had a re-polish
cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 12:53:27 PM »
Okay so the weight came up again and I was top bidder.

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Baccarat-1848-presse-papier-sulfure-paper-press-nombreuses-silhouettes-animales-/141356318454?pt=FR_JG_C%C3%A9ramiques_Verre&hash=item20e97e3ef6

Any one here been a prior bidder. Just wondering what happened in your transaction as the seller is insisting on a wire transfer for payment. Seller has had problems with her Paypal account, and won't do Paypal. I've offered to have someone local pick it up and pay her then in cash. The wire transfer bank is in Greece, Seller is in Paris. Seller has only one feedback as a seller and maybe 10 as a buyer. All feedbacks are older. Doesn't look safe to do as far as I am concerned, but still wondering as it's a beautiful paperweight. Seller's name is Catherine Wernerschmit, 1, paqssage du champ aloup, 13000 Paris, France.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 01:48:59 PM »

Hi Andy

I happened to capture some of the eBay images when this paperweight came up before....and have now found them.   It is not only the same paperweight, but the same images.....which would disconcert me.  If the seller actually has the paperweight - rather than just the images - they should be able to give you a new image with it sitting on a copy of today's paper.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 02:17:56 PM »
Hi Andy,

I would be very suspicious as the address does not exist. The postcode 13000 cannot be in Paris (a postcode in 13000 signifies an address in the Marseille region - 500 km from the capital...). To be in Paris, it would need a postcode beginning in 750 + the 2 digits of the relevant arrondissement/district.

However, there is a 'passage du champ a loup' in Paris in the 18th arrondissement (i.e. postcode 75018).

Of course, it could be a genuine error...

SophieB

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »
Do not EVER pay by wire transfer.  It will be almost certainly be a scam.  Almost certainly a hacked account which the "new owner" uses to post items using sold items pictures as a con, and the item will never arrive with you able to do nothing....

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 04:27:17 PM »
Do not EVER pay by wire transfer.  It will be almost certainly be a scam. 

I have to agree, a request for a wire transfer should set any and all alarm bells ringing.

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 06:05:53 PM »
That is the same conclusion I have come to - but I really was hoping to get that weight.

Alan- do you have a print out of the July 2013 listing from last summer and was it the same seller as now?

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 06:55:59 PM »
One of the giveaways I've always found is to look at feedback dates.  This ones last feedback is in June last year, so I wouldn't go near it.  The 'hackers' target accounts which aren't in use, just like this one......

If anyone can work out what else they've 'sold' recently that would be great, but I can't see the completed listings option?

Ian

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 07:02:07 PM »
Hi Andy

Sorry - I only captured 5 images from the advert, not the full spread. I do not have other information.

I suspect the 'hacked account' and using old images is the source of the problem. About 8 years ago I nearly fell for a 'Bacchus' scam - I won it, but was uneasy - especially when the guy (in the US) wanted Western Union money transfer to 'his sister' at some different address. I offered 50% up front, 50% on delivery - and he was desparate to agree - so I ditched the deal and reported it to the US authorities. I found out shortly afterwards he was using auction images for a weight that Nancy Alfano had put through an auction house a year before!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand