No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian Scalloped Pine Decor Platter = ID = Jobling fir cone  (Read 3179 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Dia. Approx. 25.6cm
Height 4.4cm
Base dia. Approx. 8.7cm

Hi, I would be interested to know the origin of this platter.  The rim reminds me of Sklo Union, but I could totaly be of track with this one ::).    It clearly has an embossed marking that is readable from the inside.  The details are REGD No. 777133.   During my research, I was only able to find one with the same registration mark, which I am assuming is the design pattern mark.   This bowl is described as Victorian on this site.  Any info. appreciated. :)

http://www.batemans-auctions.co.uk/lot.php?lot=109477

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Victorian Scalloped Pine Decor Platter
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 01:33:04 AM »
Hi,

Your plate is not Victorian, but 1930s.

This plate is by Jobling of Sunderland (formerly Greener). The number is a design registration number: 777133 dates to September 1932.

This is the crimped plate, one of several variants and sizes that were made (the crimped plate is based on the middle of the three sizes available). The pattern is known as 'fir cone' (pattern no. 5000) and is the first known registered design from Jobling's largely French designed 'art glass' range.

Some of the other shapes available can be seen in my flickr set here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kingofbananas/2679689208/in/set-72157622557471351
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kingofbananas/4237962036/in/set-72157622557471351
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kingofbananas/4238755032/in/set-72157622557471351
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kingofbananas/2679688574/in/set-72157622557471351/

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
disappointing to see that a member of The Society of Fine Art Auctioneers should be that slip-shod over a very basic matter as the value of looking up a Rd. No., and thus turning down a golden opportunity of being able to say so much more about an item.
Not everyone has the Blue Book, but just a couple of clicks on the screen will bring up the Kew data from which it's obvious that this is nowhere near C19 - and there are other internet sources that will show this is a C20 Registration - not remotely a difficult conclusion to reach.
So much for the accreditation value of SOFAA.

I see that there were two Nos. registered on that date Steven - does this indicate two shapes/patterns perhaps?

Otis - hope you don't mind - am attaching three pix which show some other non-opalescent shapes in this pattern  -  yours is a nice piece by the way, but as you'll see, you have a long way to go to complete the set ;D

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 09:30:40 AM »
Even without access to the Blue Book, Otis, the number appears with the registrant and the registration date on the Great Glass website's edited list of registered design numbers at
http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/regnos09.htm

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 10:34:29 AM »
Obviously I should read my own books...............  the other Rd. No. to which I was referring was 777134 - and like 777133, this was also registered on 29th September 1932.         It occured to me that 777134 might have had something to do with the Fir Cone design, having also been registered on the same date - however, it doesn't, so forget I mentioned it.

(777134 is for a Flower Pattern bowl (Jobling catalogue No. 6000)  -  a picture of which can be seen in Baker and Crowe page18 - plate iii).

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Re: Victorian Scalloped Pine Decor Platter = ID = Jobling fir cone
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 10:32:09 PM »

Otis - hope you don't mind - am attaching three pix which show some other non-opalescent shapes in this pattern  -  yours is a nice piece by the way, but as you'll see, you have a long way to go to complete the set ;D

I don't mind in the slightest Paul.  I am  just so pleased that my piece has now been identified, thanks to Mosquito.   I  acknowledge that the pattern No. is 5000 and would not have known this without help.  I think what threw me was the regd. no. that applied to a variant amount of glass pieces.   Just to let you know, I have no intention of attempting to obtain the set.  This was one that I just found of interest during my other purchases.   I don't think mine is no comparison to the ones I have just visited in the flicr set and your pics. :(

Thanks for letting me know Fred.   I should have referred to this site during my initial search ::).

All your help is very much appreciated. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 09:55:30 AM »
The registered design numbers (but not always) and even the pattern numbers often (but not always) refer to the design on the glass NOT the shape of the item, particularly for British stuff.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 10:26:07 PM »
Noted!  Thanks for letting us know Christine. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand