No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jam Factory Small Studio Glass Bottle - Herman or Herman Influence  (Read 2009 times)

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Re: Jam Factory Small Studio Glass Bottle - Herman or Herman Influence
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 08:23:19 AM »
Found it! Here's Sue's show of her Sam Herman(s), including the reported opinion of Adam Aaronson on the unsigned piece:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,50103.msg283113.html#msg283113

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 11:31:55 AM »
That's the thread I keep coming up with, Trevor.
But I am sure there is a very short thread in which Adam actually tells me about it, one where he used the 98-99% figure, not one where I just quote/report it. I seem to remember Sam was not at Zest at that time to ask personally, so it was Adam's opinion along with somebody else he'd asked.
(My memory is not always accurate.)
Apologies for the confusion about it being first John's and then mine.

I really like the piece, whoever made it, and John very kindly let me have it. It feels right for Sam, but I'm aware of the caveats.

I've found this thread, it has good pics, but it's not really helping with the original question carrying on about my bit, is it? :-[
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,40449.0.html
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 07:14:11 AM »
Here's my conclusion on Greg's bottle that started this thread. There is little doubt it is a mid-1970s Jam Factory piece, made by one or more of the trainees (Peter Goss, Rob Knottenbelt, John Walsh and Tom Persson) and/or Stan Melis who was overseeing production from 1976.

Several characteristics point to Rob Knottenbelt as the maker, or at least the dominant member of a team. Knottenbelt was the first of the trainees to start at the Jam Factory and so was more advanced than the others in those early years. His works of the period show a closer following of the design ideas of Sam Herman than the others, so the obvious SH attributes in Greg's piece also point to RK in particular.

The random swirling trails marvered in, and the squared lower form with its deeply indented base, both appear more characteristic of RK than the others at the Jam Factory. The 23cm tall green vessel in the photos below shows both of these traits. It is inscribed "R J Knottenbelt 1977 R2? SJH Studio" and dates from the year when the trainees worked toward a graduating class exhibition. I will also show a bowl with silvery brown trails and a vaseline lip, which has these same features.

Even more strongly identifying is the internal effect that at a distance looks like coloured flocking, but close up shows the colour collecting around tiny random bubbles. That is an obvious feature of the green vessel in the photos, and shows even more boldly in the bowl with brown trails. The same feature is found in RK's production work for years after he left the Jam Factory, although it does not occur (as far as I am aware) in the works of any of the others. I can see this same feature in Greg's bottle, perhaps not so well developed as in the two examples I show, but that would be explained by it being an earlier piece.

I tried to contact RK to confirm my conclusions, but I received no reply - unlike a few years ago when he was very helpful with my questions. I've heard that he has closed his glass studio and concentrates on other activities.

I also asked Peter Goss for an opinion on Greg's bottle and my suggestion of its maker. He agrees with the place and time, and while he was unable to say for sure, he suggested it could well be RK's work.

Trevor 
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 07:21:38 AM »
Here is the second piece referred to above, 11.5cm high and signed "R J Knottenbelt K?? 1977 SJH Studio". Thanks to Dr George Tsambourakis for permission to use his photographs.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 01:29:30 PM »
My grateful thanks Trevor for looking into my Jam Factory production piece with such detail and also running it past Peter Goss.

It’s nice to be able to put a potential name behind the piece and to also view it with fresh eyes, now that you have highlighted the characteristic Rob Knottenbelt traits.

Shame to hear that Rob Knottenbelt had to close his studio, it would seem quite a few early students have sadly moved onto new pastures.

Many thanks
Greg

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 01:37:37 PM »
My grateful and sincere thanks too. Fascinating stuff, Trevor. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken