No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina pot - puleguso?  (Read 3309 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Mdina pot - puleguso?
« on: February 20, 2006, 05:37:46 PM »
I found this lovely little pot in an antique shop today.  It's about 4.5" high, and heavy.  Inscribed Mdina to the base.

It's not a design I've seen from Mdina before, with a acidy yellow puleguso (is it puleguso...there are small bubbles in it?) effect.  

I'm rather pleased with it...is it an older piece do you think?

I am not a man

Offline chuggy

• Members
Mdina pot - puleguso?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 05:44:45 PM »
Max I know nothing much about Mdina designs etc, but this is one of the few pieces I've seen that I really think is a cut above the average. Is the item puleguso all the way down with the coloured band overlayed?
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Mdina pot - puleguso?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 05:48:39 PM »
Paul.  It's puleguso all over.  The turq band is thinly overlaid to the outer surface.

I'll stick another pic up in a moment - I've never heard of Mdina puleguso - maybe I'm wrong.  Random small bubbles sound about right?

I've lost some of the detail of the fine yellow tracery on the pot..but you can see the bubbles.
I am not a man

Offline chuggy

• Members
Mdina pot - puleguso?
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 05:58:22 PM »
I reckon random bubbles, is the outer surface smooth, as in puleguso you frequently get a rough feel to the surface and burst bubbles. I've got an interesting puleguso jug I'll stick a piccy of up tomorrow and you'll see what I mean.
Istill think it's a really nice piece and one of the more interesting bits of Mdina I've seen though.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Mdina pot - puleguso?
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 06:07:12 PM »
Thanks Paul...I like it too.  :D   Maybe it's not puleguso...inside and outside is smooth with no broken bubbles.   :?

Maybe Sue will manage to take a look later.  :D
I am not a man

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Mdina pot - puleguso?
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 10:57:42 AM »
:D:D:D
Hello!
There's a picture of a piece in this pattern in the 2004 Miller's guide (top right, p273). It is described there as being early '70's, by Michael Harris. I don't know if the date is right, but none of my bits in this pattern have dates. I don't have a bit in yours' size and shape, Max.....:mrgreen:

I do quite like the pattern, but would agree with Paul that it's not quite pulegoso. The bubbles are too big, and the surface is not all rough. I think this pattern is often referred to as "sand and aqua".

This bubbly yellow is the background in the tortoiseshell pieces, and in other early bits with blue. It is a common feature of Mdina - I don't know why it is so often overlooked that it is bubbly. :?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Mdina pot - puleguso?
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 11:01:01 AM »
Max, since Peter got me into Mdina, not easily found here let me tell you, it has become a passion for me. Love this and just adds to my list of what to look for. Terry.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Mdina pot - puleguso?
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 11:53:36 AM »
Sue said:
There's a picture of a piece in this pattern in the 2004 Miller's guide (top right, p273). It is described there as being early '70's, by Michael Harris. I don't know if the date is right, but none of my bits in this pattern have dates

Thanks Sue.  :D  I never thought to look in Millers, I just don't use them anymore...having said that...I've got 2003 and 2005...but not 2004!   I'd rate your opinion over theirs anyway.  :)  

Of course you're right about it not being puleguso. I had the opportunity to handle a couple of bits in that technique at Peter's house this week for the first time, and this Mdina is much different.  As I'd only really read about puleguso, or seen pictures, I got that a bit wrong!  :roll:  :oops:

Terry - if you could find Mdina as easy as you find great Italian pieces - I'd be even MORE jealous!   :wink:
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand