No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small Beaked Vase = Whitefriars  (Read 8373 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Small Beaked Vase
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 06:41:20 PM »
Nic?  Is that an optical illusion, or is the glass at the base of the beaked vase on the left (the same one as you started the thread with) opaque and not clear/tinted???   :shock:
I am not a man

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Small Beaked Vase
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 06:54:25 PM »
Optical illusion. I thought it looked opaque in the photograph too!  :lol:

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Small Beaked Vase
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 07:22:40 PM »
Whoa!  That's an amazing optical illusion then.  I can't look at it anymore, it's doin' me 'ead in.  :lol:
I am not a man

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 07:29:07 PM »
Crikey, I had a shock when I saw the 'opaque" look.  I agree yours looks a bit bottom heavy, but I have seen the W/F ones on occasions look VERY similar.  However, Nic, it's your vase and you are handling it etc. so maybe your instincts are right.  Dunno. Still looks very W/F to me.  colour is good, height is good, pontil is good so.....? But we all know that there was a lot of Scandinavian influence during Baxters early days at Whiteriars and vice versa, but I've had a lot of Holmegaard light blue glass and generally it has seemed a bit brighter in tone than Whitefriars Arctic Blue.  Very subtly so, but there is a difference.  Maybe you'll have to put it aside for a while until you have a similar item to make comparisons.  Emmi

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Small Beaked Vase
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 07:33:40 PM »
The variance in the thickness ia a bit more than you would expect for hand-blown variations, so it is certain to be a different hand and probably a different design. Glassblowers might look like that are moving wildly at times but they tend to produce incredibly consistent results. Look at it as a dance of creation.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Small Beaked Vase
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2006, 08:09:51 PM »
I seem to have a habit of picking up bits of glass which really should be Whitefriars, but isn't quite right (like the optic rib vase in the wrong shade of blue not long ago).

But I agree with Frank - the differences are probably too great for it to be the same pattern - or if it is, then it's a dodgy second.  :lol: But it was only £6, and I bought it because I quite liked it.

And now I have an excuse to hunt out some WF in Arctic Blue.  :twisted:

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Small Beaked Vase
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2006, 10:12:13 PM »
I still think it's Whitefriars.  8)  The weight of similarities to WF is greater than the weight of the disimilarities IMVHO.

How about you stick it on 'Is It'?  Perhaps Patrick or someone will be able to shed a little more light?
I am not a man

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Small Beaked Vase
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2006, 10:44:52 PM »
Consider it done.  :D

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Small Beaked Vase
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2006, 06:44:43 AM »
Quote from: "Max"
The weight of similarities to WF is greater than the weight of the disimilarities IMVHO.

Mediaeval solution: weigh them all. If the piece is within the normal weight range we declare it a true WF, if it is too light we call it a witch.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Small Beaked Vase
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2006, 06:49:45 AM »
You're not setting fire to my poor little vase, even if it does turn out to be a warty wizard...  :shock: Trial by water is okay, though, as long as you dry it properly afterwards.

PS: Hurray, someone who spells 'mediaeval' properly!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand