No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small Beaked Vase = Whitefriars  (Read 8373 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Small Beaked Vase
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2006, 07:01:53 AM »
Both spellings are correct written, but in typed form it should used the combined form of ae thus Medićval.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Small Beaked Vase
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2006, 08:03:11 AM »
:D:D:D

I've searched and searched, but I can't find the thread which describes these vases being swung over the maker's heads! I'm pretty sure it was about the same time as Adam D wrote all those amazing descriptions of pressed glass making and the double-melting thing, but I've read them all again (- well worthwhile!) and can't find it. :cry:

Nigel Benson once described a "rule of 3", for use in identifying things. If it has 3 features that are absolutely "right", then it's probably what you think it is.

That opaque base had my brain screaming "Flygsfors" at me.  :shock:  :lol:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Small Beaked Vase
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2006, 08:28:22 AM »
Nic, for what it's worth, colour looks right for WF Arctic Blue from where I sit too. But I've never seen the beaked vases in the glass.

Cathy B

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Small Beaked Vase
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2006, 09:17:09 AM »
Quote from: "chopin-liszt"
I've searched and searched, but I can't find the thread which describes these vases being swung over the maker's heads! I'm pretty sure it was about the same time as Adam D wrote all those amazing descriptions of pressed glass making and the double-melting thing, but I've read them all again (- well worthwhile!) and can't find it. :cry:

It might have been a Cafe entry, and has since been lost to the ether, which is a shame.  :(

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Small Beaked Vase
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2006, 10:15:58 AM »
check the archives too...

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Small Beaked Vase
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2006, 10:53:39 AM »
The opaque look of Nic's second pic is just the effect of some backlighting due to the angle of the daylight coming from his window.

I am still unable to access Emmi's tinypic.
Fortunately Terry in US could, so sent it to me and I have re-hosted it. I hope you don't mind Emmi. Assuming that others are still having difficulty, here it is

- and shows a surprising  amount of variation:
I am inclined to agree with Max and Emmi on this piece.
Pete

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Small Beaked Vase
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2006, 10:59:37 AM »
:D :D :D

I'm sure it was pre-cafe days, but may have been lost one time the site went down, which was what inspired having an archive section in the first place.  :cry:

Anyway, it was an excuse to rummage in the archives - a habit I strongly recommend! :D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2006, 12:14:10 PM »
Hi Peter,, that's fine with me re: the photo, no problem at all, wonder why though it wasn;t working for some people?  Likely to be something I did or didn't do, but usually they work out OK.  Thanks again for doing it.  Emmi

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Small Beaked Vase
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2006, 12:25:55 PM »
What an interesting thread. :lol:

A thousand thanks Peter, for posting the photos. For someone like me  :oops:  an invaluable insight into variations...............and as they say, a picture speaks a thousand words. :lol:
Again, thank you.

Thanks too Nic. Great vase btw. I love the colour too.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Small Beaked Vase
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2006, 01:44:58 PM »
Thanks for reposting Emmi's photo Peter, I tried it several times and couldn't see it before.

For my money, Emmis photo is conclusive evidence that Nic's vase is WF.  That shade of blue is quite particular, isn't it?  Really unusual hue.  I know what Sue meant about Flygsfors too...the clunky bottom (a bit like my own  :wink: ) had me thinking about Scandi too before.

Yippeee for the GMB pooling of information!  I'm glad Nic's vase didn't turn out to be a 'witch'.  ;)
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand