No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small Beaked Vase = Whitefriars  (Read 8373 times)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2006, 01:57:42 PM »
Another little word about colour...to my mind the Holmegaard blue is more similar to Whitefriars Sapphire Blue.  Arctic Blue is fairly easily recognised on these beaked vases and teardrops, but on more dense items say Ducks or those bubbled pin bowls, it can sometimes be difficult to ID the colour, and certainly from a photo even more difficult. I've got an 8" Arctic Blue pin bowl which because of the thickness of glass, looks identical to an Indigo Hooped vase...but the pin bowls were not made in Indigo, so it can't be!!! Hey Ho!!

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Small Beaked Vase
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2006, 03:01:00 PM »
Arctic Blue and Sapphire Blue are very similar, but the latter is a little closer to an electric blue - at least on the one Sapphire piece I own (a 9353 Curtain Vase - which is unfortunately a little too thin to photograph for direct colour comparison).

Quote from: "Max"
That shade of blue is quite particular, isn't it?  Really unusual hue.

Unfortunately not - I've just been rifling through my HG bits, and found a small piece of pressed glass in an almost identical shade.  :? But as far as I know, HG rarely used their pressed glass colours for blown glass - I've a few pieces of pressed glass in odd colours.

(Edit: I've just found another identical pressed candleholder in a colour very like Sapphire!  :lol: )

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Small Beaked Vase
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2006, 04:22:09 PM »
:o I think Whitefriars Sky Blue looks a dead ringer for Whitefriars Sapphire Blue in some lights too.

God!  It's enough to drive ya mad isn't it??  :lol:
I am not a man

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2006, 08:34:02 PM »
Nic, have a look at the Circaglass website....it's on the links section of Whitefriars.com.  Go to Whitefriars section two and there's a ruby beaked.  Has a bit of a chubby bottom like yours (the glass I mean) and a rather elongated beaky bit.  Just to highlight the  variations.  I am not commenting on your upload on the .com site, as I've said it all here I think.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand