No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: another glass? ID = English sweetmeat  (Read 1329 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
another glass? ID = English sweetmeat
« on: July 24, 2013, 12:00:26 PM »
Hi all!the trouble with newbies is they don't know what anything is!so if you could just humour me for a bit longer.This glass has that grey colour and a ring,perhaps the shape,it also has a rough broken pontil with alot of small air bubbles,although it has wear on the outer edge it does seem in remarkable good nick and is light in weight,so i'm confused..

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
Re: another glass?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 01:55:33 PM »
Hi ,
           Looks like you may have found yourself a nice little English sweetmeat glass from the late 17th century.when I have more time i can point you in the right direction for identification , others may beat me to it though,just have to finish cutting the monster privet hedge.

cheers ,
             Peter.

edit to add photo of a very similar 1 which is mine

added ,   a similer one
  http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/16672/lot/13/?search_query=1&division=&passages=True&earliest_first=True&value_data_currency=GBP&value_data_order_spec=%5B%27-value_low%27%5D&back_to_year=2003&date_range=past&main_index=lot&department=&query=sweetmeat%2Bglass&create_facets=False&value_data_range_display=

and another,
  http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/16672/lot/7/?search_query=1&division=&passages=True&earliest_first=True&value_data_currency=GBP&value_data_order_spec=%5B%27-value_low%27%5D&back_to_year=2003&date_range=past&main_index=lot&department=&query=sweetmeat%2Bglass&create_facets=False&value_data_range_display=

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 02:20:14 PM »
 ;D wow that would be fantastic! sorry i didn't give the dimensions,10cm wd and 10 1/4 cm ht,many thanks..

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 02:22:36 PM »
That is beautiful peter,thanks for posting it..

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 06:38:11 PM »
glass with an early production date such as this is most definitely Peter's domain - and congratulations on a truly great find. :)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 07:00:52 PM »
Thanks Paul, i think i'm one lucky bleeder to be honest and thanks to the board,it would not have been long ago i would have walked past it..

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 07:15:29 PM »
I'm beginning to wonder if my"precious",maybe a champagne glass or both,any thoughts.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
Hi,
           It looks like it has a folded bowl rim which I suspect would indicate that sweetmeat is more likely , folded to fend of spoon or fork attacks .

cheers ,
         Peter.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 07:25:36 PM »
Ahh,interesting thanks Peter.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: another glass? ID = English sweetmeat
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 10:12:01 AM »
I'm really not trying to be controversial or argue for the sake of it,but I'm still not convinced this glass was not made for champaigne not least of all the rim being vertical and others of this type being parallel,having a folded rim may not exclude this line of thought in so much as it may have been the best option for a rim when the glass is made so thin.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand