No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Davidson 'CRYSTOLAC' Tumblers  (Read 8585 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Davidson 'CRYSTOLAC' Tumblers
« on: July 24, 2013, 07:13:47 PM »
Have located a few pieces, and pix now attached showing the method of dating.

Understand that Davidson first manufactured 'CRYSTOLAC' in 1940, and continued, according to Chris and Val Stewart, 'for many years', although I don't have any information indicating which year they ceased production, although it was likely to be some time in the 1960's.I'm unsure.
The dot code, indicating year of manufacture, commences with 1941  -  it seems that pieces without any dots will be from 1940.
The two sizes shown here have height measurements of  3.25" and 3.75" - whether other sizes were made I'm unsure.

In view of the apparent success of these utility tumblers, it's surprising that I've not been aware of seeing examples from later dates  -  those shown here are from the 1940's only, although it's possible other people may have later examples. 
Although I don't frequent Ikea or similar stores, it occurs to me that the chunky style of design of 'CRYSTOLAC' is not too far removed from the shape and feel of recent drinking tumblers from those outlets  -  harking back to the retro shapes possibly.

There are five pix in all, so one goes over to the next frame  -  and using the dots would appear to give the years 1942, 44, 46 and 1948.

Ref.      'Davidson Glass - a history'  -  Chris & Val Stewart  -  2005  (regrettably out of print I understand)
The information above, and many other details on the Davidson web site are to the credit of these authors - without which many of us would be vastly less well informed about Davidson glass.   
Further information regarding 'CRYSTOLAC' tumblers can be found on the Stewart's George Davidson web site.

If anyone has information additional to the above - which wouldn't be too difficult :)  -  please feel free to add as appropriate. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Davidson 'CRYSTOLAC' Tumblers
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 07:15:10 PM »
and the final picture...........dots for 1948.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 01:17:04 PM »
Paul, your topic has prompted me to do photos of the one I have...  and it answers your question about heights, as mine is bigger at exactly 4" high, and 3½" top diameter... the pattern is like elongated balloons... I've not seen another like it anywhere. 

The base stamps read as follows:

stamped on the inside

stamped on the outside read from the inside
CRYSTOLAC
REGD
BRITISH
TOUGHENED

followed by 2 rows of what looks like dots linked by lines (looks like waves!) and below them
L I I so I'm not sure what date code this is but into the 1950s I'd guess. Perhaps L I I means 1952? (Thinking Roman numerals here!)

Adam Dodds (formerly of Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72) told me that he seemed to recall perhaps six different Crystolac tumbler patterns being made by Davidson's, but qualified that by saying, "but by far the commonest was the Chippendale-looking one of around 8-10 oz capacity."  Adam also said, "I think, but am not sure, that all tough tumblers were supplied to Clayton Meyers." 

Adam's observations are valuable in telling us that tumblers were measured in capacity not dimensions, and that the one I have is a less-common one. :)

It's also worth reading Adam's post about how these were made: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,23432.msg131545.html#msg131545 along with Chris Stewart's follow ups quoting production numbers and more.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 04:07:23 PM »
very interesting Anne, and thanks for the Adam Dodds link............some of the chemicals mentioned by Adam certainly wouldn't  be allowed now - xylene and trichloroethylene and anything ending in  'ene' are very dodgy I believe.
Looks like the shape of my tumblers matches that in the Stewarts book, so possibly the most common sort, and yours a lot rarer :)

I'll keep an eye out for others now we have this thread going, and see what turns up.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 07:51:37 PM »
Interesting thread,i found one down the council dump with a 50 and a 9 on the inside ,on the base it'ssame as Anne with the two lines,but Paul's design ,it needs more than a clean i think with loads of wear to the base ,i'll put photo's up tomorrow.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 11:37:48 AM »
As promised,10cm ht 8.5 cm wd.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 07:40:43 PM »
regret can't help with accurate dating of either this one or Anne's - the only guide to production dates that I know is in the Stewart's book (page 124), where the 'dot code' is discussed  -  as illustrated on the examples in my original post here.           The book simply says.........."three dots for 1943, and so on..........".

Perhaps someone else might have more information.             

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 09:52:20 AM »
No worries Paul, they've got something about them and i'll keep looking out for more.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 08:52:04 PM »
remaining with this thread, for obvious reasons, have today found the Crystolac tumbler shown in the attached pix.
The three dots would indicate this one as being made in 1943 - and it's not a shape of Crystolac that I've seen previously  -  so, together with the pattern shown at the beginning of the thread, plus Anne's, and now this one, we have a total of three separate designs of tumbler.             Wonder how many other designs there might be.
Height of this one is a tad over 4" (about 105 mm).

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 08:45:28 PM »
Today I found a small one like Paul's smaller example, which actually looked frosted when I spotted it but I suspect the frosting is water damage, perhaps from a dishwasher. I've taken pictures of it as is, and alongside its larger brother and its even larger cousin, all for comparison. My three are 3¼" tall (7 dots), 3¾" tall (4 dots) and 4" tall (LII).

I have flipped the base image of the small one so the text can be read properly. From the base it would be reversed of course, the correct version would be visible from inside the tumbler.  8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand