No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ysart special cane?  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Ma66Be92

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Scottish & Murano paperweights
    • Germany
Ysart special cane?
« on: July 24, 2013, 09:01:50 PM »
Hello,
this is my first question here, and I am really glad about the possibility of sharing comments about paperweights with the members of the Glass Message Board. I think that the paperweight shown is a Ysart/Vasart one, but could anybody please tell me if the canes in the center, special the one with the red cross makes it a special or a  valuable one?
Thank you very much in advance for any help  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Ysart special cane?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 02:44:28 AM »
Hi, welcome to the Board.

The weight appears to be a regular Ysart Brothers period (Vasart) concentric with some mixed canes. The central cane is not seen as often as most of the others but I would not refer to it as "special". The other cross-type cane (yellow, blue, white) is also one that is not (so far) seen very often but is also not "special".

Some people might say that the weight was made by Salvador Ysart and that may be true. The canes in the outer rows are of a type that are also seen in weights with a "Y" cane, but are also known in lots of concentrics that do not have the "Y - so again, not really special.

An attractive gift weight that ten years ago would have cost about £10 to £20. But some collectors now seem to be happy to pay well into the £100s for a weight like this!
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ma66Be92

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Scottish & Murano paperweights
    • Germany
Re: Ysart special cane?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 05:03:15 AM »
Thank you very much! I am coming back later with questions concerning another two paperweights , that maybe you find more interesting. Best regards :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand