No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: item values on the board.  (Read 1068 times)

Offline bigbri

• Members
    • knowledge
    • english lakes
Re: item values on the board.
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 02:39:22 PM »
well thats ok then we can all gives prices and opinions that reflect our own levels of interest cant we.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 03:13:48 PM »
Yes, as long as you are careful not to provide anything that could be deemed a valuation in the legal sense

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 03:38:21 PM »
Speaking personally, I would never offer a valuation, simply because I'm not qualified to do so - i.e. I'm not an appraiser or valuer. The only time I may mention money is in respect of either (a) what I paid for something or (b) what I've seen them on sale at. Neither, in my opinion, constitute a valuation and shouldn't be seen as such. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 01:11:24 AM »
And for the record, I confirm that Christine's observations about my comments were correct. The amounts I stated were not "values" but were related to either prices realised or my own preferred price level for certain types of paperweight.

And in the paperweight world (as well as other glass), there are a number of collectors who can afford to bid against each other to the extent that "normal" retail prices are exceeded to a point that can distort apparent "values".

But, yes, if a board member wishes to give an opinion of a valuation, they really ought to be careful about the wording used.
KevinH

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 08:18:47 AM »
I'd suggest that it's very inappropriate to give values on the Board, for a variety of reasons - I doubt that any two people would agree on the same value for anything.   
The trend seems to have set in with books from the other side of the pond that have encouraged people to see glass linked to financial rather than intrinsic values, and there's now a fashion for people new to the Board thinking that they will be given a value.             Some will do so out of curiosity to compare with their purchase price, but others will wish to use as a yardstick because their only intention is to sell on.
It's not difficult to imagine a certain type of ebay seller complaining that  "well, you said it was worth xyz, and it's only realized abc - so much for your knowledge".......           the last thing we need.

I don't know the location of bigbri (I might have missed it on the stats), but States people might be more inclined to ask the question than others :) 

Offline bigbri

• Members
    • knowledge
    • english lakes
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 09:45:21 AM »
Pure northern english Paul not too many miles away from Anne so not American.........
Well im glad i got that cleared up then,well sort of,well not at all really so we can but we cant but only as long as we word it properly.........as a statement of personal opinion......
I personally think values are not the place for a knowledge based board,whether the statements of opinion based on ralated prices from whenever,or from a personal opinion of what a piece might be worth,or a price any person would be prepared to pay,is a valuation and no use of the english language will change my views that a statement to price is still a valuation and as such users could believe that values are obtainable from the board.
Lets just say when any £££ statements are made it creates a grey area.......as valuations are just personal observations and opinions based on variables are they not.......
happy hunting.....

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 01:30:03 PM »
hmmmmm..............Cumbria etc., gosh way out in the sticks then.........speak English there, do they  -   you do surprise me ;) ;) ;)

Don't get me wrong.......I love to know that I've 'bought a bargain' as well as the next person.....................the very expression implies that we are making a judgment that we've bought for a quid something that's worth ten times more........always puts a smile on the face.        It's just that I'm of the opinion that it'll only lead to tears if we get bogged down in the obviously impossible effort to find a commonly agreed value for something - just a waste of ink and time.
If you want an insurance value, then go back to the seller (if they were a professional source), or ask any a glass dealer who specializes in that area (although to be fair they are entitled to charge for their expertise - you may then get the reply in writing).

Members locations............another of my soapboxes, I'm afraid. :)            Why do people omit their country of origin, or gender for that matter??

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 01:48:05 PM »
Why do people omit their country of origin
Kettle, black  ;)

Offline bigbri

• Members
    • knowledge
    • english lakes
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 02:06:46 PM »
I really didnt realise my country of origin was omitted when i registered i didnt even realise there was a country of origin to mention..........must be the northern in me.....
as to English Paul i think you may find that the cumbrian dialect is the closest thing that resembles the dane/norse which is pre norman invasion which of corse means anything south of grassmere is basically french.......innit...... :) :) :P

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 03:28:53 PM »
must admit to not realizing my location details weren't there, now.              Was this omission part of the re-structuring after the Board's shut down in recent times?
Am certain that I had included both Surrey, and my own local town, when I first registered several years back.                 However, perhaps I've missed the point that it's now Board policy not to show these details. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand