No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart & Sons - marked?  (Read 5762 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Stuart & Sons - marked?
« on: May 04, 2006, 02:04:44 PM »
Just for confirmation, can somebody please comnfirm whether Stuart & Sons would have marked items, such as "Peacock Trail" pieces,  made circa 1900.

The photos below are not the best in terms of background, but they were taken as quick reference views when a lady I was visiting brought out this vase for a comment on maker.

I assume I am correct that it is a Stuart & Sons "peacock trail" vase. No etched mark, or other form, could be found.

Side and Top views:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1753
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1752
KevinH

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Stuart & Sons - marked?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 03:51:12 PM »
I think Harrach did a very similar model.  It would be worth checking.
I am not a man

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Stuart & Sons - marked?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 07:38:35 PM »
Definitely up to their quality and they did not mark everything until more recent times. The Stuart mark did not appear much before the 20's prior to which they used labels and only the occasional marks like L Kny. It is a long time since I handle this type of glass so not much help in any other way here.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Stuart & Sons - marked?
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 12:30:40 PM »
Thanks for the respones, folks.

And thanks, Frank for giving a nudge to Cathy's message about a Stuart Cairngorm salt ( http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,76.0.html ).

I had difficulty to begin with in trying to locate other messages for this type of work. Of course, had I refrred to the design by the name "Cairngorm" I may have been had better luck with the search :!:

Max: Which design are you thinking about in connection with possible Harrach similar items? Are those with the circle of green and a trail, or are they just the green "blobs" with a trail? (And could it even be Kralik you were considering, as they also used "blob trails")

As mentioned in Cathy's message (see above), the Great Glass site shows a few Stuart "Cairngorm" pieces and they match the style of work in my friend's vase.

It was in Manley's Decorative Victorian Glass (items 243 & 284) that I first saw something like these, but ...
a) item 284 had yellow transluscent glass around the blue "eyes" [but in the book photo they looked green to me] and yellow continuing down to the trails
b) for item 243 the trails wre "sinuous" and for item 284 they were spiralled around the bowl
c) both items were stated to be Thomas Webb's and for item 284 "... with a more elaborate design of the Caingoram-drops". Note the spelling of Cairngoram which Manley said was as per Thomas Webb's records.

Unfortunately, Manley did not show any Stuart pieces with their "Cairngorm" drops and I cannot find other example in my books. So the only ones I have seen have been via the internet. Hence my element of uncertainty.
KevinH

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Stuart & Sons - marked?
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 12:53:41 PM »
Searches using "peacock stuart" give

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1901.0.html
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2706.msg20252.html#msg20252

and (pics showing) a large all green (but apparently actually "in a muted kingfisher blue") piece posted by Lyn Webster but ....... unrelated ?
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2654.0.html
Pete

Offline andyweights

• Members
sturart & Sons vase
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 11:27:37 AM »
:?:  Have now found an etched mark but impossible to decipher, will wait till Kevh with excellent  camera has a good look.  The etched mark is near the brim of the vase.
nne Anderson

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Stuart & Sons - marked?
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 07:55:25 PM »
It took a while, but today I visited again and viewed the vase.

My view is that what was thought to be an etched mark is actually two small sections of "blocks of scuffing" which, even under magnification, could be thought to be a maker's mark. But alas, no.
KevinH

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Stuart & Sons - marked?
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 07:05:52 PM »
I believe this is a Stuart piece.
Gulliers shows what appears to be a vase from the same range, same shape but taller page 89.  It has the same type of peacock eye and trails but the middle bit of the eye is clear as is the rest of the vase including the trails.
'A large flower vase manufactured c 1900 by Stuart and Son Limited.  The rim is finished with a six-way shallow crimped rim.  The clear glass body is formed from a mold with twelve peacock eye pattern projecting trails, six at high level alternating with six at low level.  The base has a polished out pontil mark - 10.0 x 8.75 inches'
m

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 08:16:57 PM »
In the volume 'Designs from the West Midlands' of his privately printed book, 'British Decorative Glass 1870 to 1914', Mervyn Gulliver describes a vase identical to this one as a variant of Stuart & Sons Ltd design number 16041, c1910. 
Leni

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 08:57:13 PM »
Thank you for the additional information Leni  :)  I will add it to my books and references.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand