No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Merletto, another Harrtil?????  (Read 3388 times)

Offline chuggy

• Members
Merletto, another Harrtil?????
« on: May 09, 2006, 06:06:41 PM »
I'm only posting this because all of the Bavarian Harrtil examples I've seen, which are not a lot have been devoid of colour and the bowl shown below does have a very Italian looking feel to it and is also thicker than the Harrtil pieces I've had before, so opinions please.

http://i3.tinypic.com/xm3ewo.jpg

Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 07:19:02 PM »
Hi Paul

Your bowl is Harrtil made at Harrachov by one of a number of designers, Marcus suggests these Harrtil items would also have been made at other factories – still Czech and Harrtil.

I posted one bowl of my own in same shape / colour as yours and a green streaked example in the following thread where Marcus gives some good answers

I want to collect the series of streaked colours in the bowl form we both have - I wonder how many colours there are?

link

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 07:26:14 PM »
I love the quality of these pieces and this one was incorrectly listed under Murano and I managed to pick it up quite cheaply. When you think what the Seguso merletto pieces make these are still remarkably good value.
Paul

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 07:37:46 PM »
As Czech glass gets more collectable items like these bowls will prove to be a good investment.

Glad you got it cheaply as with the right attributions they can sell for up to £30+ on eBay.

Think of the work to get that intricate internal netting effect, then the coloured streaks, which do seem rarer as most Harrtil I see is clear glass

This was cutting edge in the 1950s. The Studio Year Book for 1956 shows a Harrtil vase saying it was designed by Milos Pulpitel, the vases and technique probably warranted an article in one of the magazines of that year.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 07:44:03 PM »
I sold a clear vase a couple of months ago and it made over £70 which was fine as it was a duplicate, but I'm just picking up the odd bit when I see it as something for the future.
Paul

Sklounion

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 09:25:56 PM »
Hi, Paul,
size please, as I have a pattern number moment coming on..... :lol:
Regards,
Marcus

Sklounion

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 09:41:13 PM »
Think of the work to get that intricate internal netting effect, then the coloured streaks, which do seem rarer as most Harrtil I see is clear glass

Adam,

The fibres in Harrtil are woven glass -fibre, rather than individually created works. Heat, pulling, teasing apart of individual pieces of glass, gives a multitude of possibilities, which the five designers I told you about, envisaged, as a source of massive potential for innovative design. I recently saw, (last couple of days) a piece described as Harrtil, which was not, too regimented, none of the fibre patterns I recognise as Czech, and therefore merletto....
no additional colours...

Be  aware though, that not all Czech Harrtil has a flint background. I have a stunning large exemplar, in an orange/rose. I suspect Smrckova for Chribska, but despite repeated enquiries in three languages, over two years, never once have I had a response, or confirmation.

Lovely items, a joy to visualise how they were made, and whatever, they will be worth, should be collected for beauty's sake rather than value.

regards,

Marcus

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 09:59:32 PM »
Thanks Marcus

As always an inspiration, the glass fibre fuses in such an amazing way it feels so intrinsic to the glass object

Your coloured glass (non flint) Harrtil sounds fantastic, maybe it will be up for viewing on your website in the near future.

You are especially right about appreciating the beauty of many post war Czech items. I do think it is a compliment in a way when they stand side by side price wise with their contemporaries - it is about time.

Adam P

btw Marcus - could this be Czech?

Polished flat base - feels totally hand blown with applied tears - gradiates upwards to a lovely green - 8.5" high and nearly 2k in weight

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand