No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 'Egg shaped' yellow to clear crackle, satin, 3 rustic feet, enamelled butterfly  (Read 4409 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Neat, small snapped off pontil mark, four way crimped rim but three applied rustic feet. Rim is firepolished and was gilded

Gilding very worn although not as brown in real life as it appears in the photos.

Decoration has remains of gilded 'stems' directly gilded onto vase trailing down from the rim, not the same as the raised outline as the butterfly and leaves are.

I thought it might be Harrach, they were fond of their three footed pieces and rustic feet and trailed decoration from the rim downwards.

Have not managed to find anything at all with yellow shaded to clear though, in any books, English or Bohemian.  The yellow is very bright.

The acid wash over the crackle has left it with a lovely textured type surface rather than being completely smooth if you see what I mean.

Cabinet size measuring 3 3/4"high by 2 1/4" diameter widest.

Is it Bohemian?  or any chance of it being English?   
Thanks for looking :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Never seen that type of finish before or legs like those,quite a find,not a clue who or where,would look nice on my shelf by the computer though ;) ::) ::) ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
no me neither :)

I've found some with rustic stub feet in Gulliver's however not satin finish and none that are id'd.
I've found one on this link with a shaded pink to cream and a similar shape body with satin glass finish handles and feet -  id'd as Stevens and Williams apparently (last one on the link if you scroll down).
http://www.ogallerie.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?after=1&dot=2006-03&look=Stevens+and+Williams
And I've found a yellow to white shaded coralene vase here which I think might be Harrach maybe?
http://www.artfact.com/auction-lot/victorian-coralene-glass-vase-6-c-d09140d50b
but all they really tell me is that it's probably dated c.1890/1895 I think  :-\

these two are both  apparently marked Webb with the acid mark
shaded yellow to pale yellow - nothing like mine in design though but both look to be satin glass
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/signed-webb-mother-of-pearl-satin-glass-coralene
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/signed-webb-victorian-mop-satin-art-glass
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
If there is yellow under the gilding I would go for Bohemian; if it is something darker I would go for English

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
thanks :) mmm,  it's not yellow as in the yellow I recall seeing under Bohemian gilding, but it is beige/dirty straw, not dark.

The only thing that's making me query English possibly, is I don't recall seeing this yellow on any Bohemian pieces, but have found a few Webb (apparently marked) pieces that have this bright yellow to pale or white.  And Webb did use satin finish on their feet.  And there is a possibility of S&W using rustic feet.  So they possibly are not a Bohemian only preserve.

I'm still inclined to Bohemian though but will keep searching :)
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand