No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: White opaque ‘double shell light’ by Edward Moore, RD 107316 (5 September 1888).  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
unfortunately, the Kew Representations book shows only an image of the design  -  no wording that I could see.        The Register book was unavailable this morning  -  presumably being used by someone else - so unable to check...........although from experience the Registers don't carry descriptions of use  -  only details of the Registrant, CLASS, dates, and any notes on extensions of period.

So remains a mystery as to the use of the word 'light'.  :-\         

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Thank you for your efforts, Paul.

Whatever the description, we use ours for pickles & jams anyway.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
gosh - you are posh Fred - are there people who decant their preserves, still          ..........      and I bet you use a butter dish, sugar bowl, and don't pour wine from a bottle ;) ;)     

When I was at Kew this morning, amazing to see the reams of Sowerby Registrations for butter dishes and sugar bowls  -  such refined manners the Victorians had.

Looking at this thing, it struck me how impracticle the edges are - almost flat and with a sharp edge........mine has some nibbles and a chip -  so typical of what happens to those fine edges.         Also a little unusual, I thought, with the Rd. No. showing on both bowls.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand