No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Crystal Facet Cut Vase  (Read 812 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Crystal Facet Cut Vase
« on: August 02, 2013, 10:27:21 PM »
Hi, can anyone identify this unusual looking crystal cut vase.   I have tried researching this, but unable to find any information. The vase measures 14.3cm, rim 11.7cm.  The octagonal shapes and facet slightly convex cuts are irregular in size.  The base width 0.6cm, gives the appearance of being separate to the body of the vase.  I suppose this is due to the deep groove around the rim.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Crystal Facet Cut Vase
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 11:23:57 PM »
Check inside the cutting on the base,I had a piece for 3 months or so before I found the mark,they can be very difficult to see, ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 11:53:36 PM »
Hi Keith,   Thoroughly scanned over every section internally and externally, but unable to find any visible I.d marks.   If I had some idea as to what sort of marking I should be looking for, this would certainly help.   I  have also carried out some more research on this vase, but unfortunately unable to find anything similar at the moment.   I forgot to point out that there is a circular groove around the actual base of the vase, 1.1cm away from the base rim, that is 0.2cm wide.  This groove is very pitted in places, which gradually fades into the area of the base that is relatively flat.  What tool would of caused this groove? The base is not truly flat from what I can see and there is signs of extensive ware around where the base meets a flat surface.  IMOA, I think this vase has been traditionally hand made, as the base is not a true circle with signs of tapered flattish edges.   The notches or cuts that are on the sides of the curved oblong facets do not run in line around the circumference of the vase, which would have indicated to me that a machine would of been used.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 09:28:45 AM »
just a few thoughts which might, or might not, be of interest Otis.              Cutting on the upper half of the vase appears to be 'hobnail' pattern (can be either six or eight sided, apparently), quite common in Europe and to a lesser extent the States.          Can be see often on whiskey decanters from mid C19 to quite some way into C20  -  Davidson very successfully made a bob or two from a pressed version which they Registered.
The lower half is a bit confusing, and looks almost as like Regency slice cutting, although it's not.

The notched rim and the series of small notches towards the base incline me to think it's not British  -  possibly Continental or States, and maybe from the first 30 - 40 years of the C20, and is undoubtedly hand made, which gives the irregular effect to the cutting.            Vases can pick up a lot of wear in a fairly short time, but I think this is a little oder than recent.

How sharp is the cutting?          If made before the 1930's it should feel quite sharp  -  prior to the use of acid for polishing cut glass, and if early you may not find a makers acid backstamp.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 01:00:43 AM »
Hi Paul,  any information is better than none and very interested in anything that might help in making a decision about a piece, so I am very grateful.   If you was to mark 10 as very sharp, I would mark it at 7, which I am be presumptuous........... as being around the 1930's?. 

prior to the use of acid for polishing cut glass, and if early you may not find a makers acid backstamp.

There are no visible, that is, also under magnification, marks that I can see, having looked at the vase in small sections, but like Keith has mentioned, can take a while before it is noticeable.  I've been over and over, but unable to find anything, but that is not to say there isn't any markings, if you see what I mean.   If there are no markings and taking into account the sharpness and not having a makers acid backstamp, would this have any variation on the probable likely date?  I must aslo point out that the vase has a greyish tint when held next to a clear crystal piece.  This may not be clearly visible on pictures taken.  I hope this is of some help.  :)

Offline jomo99

• Members
    • Croydon, England.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 06:57:24 AM »
Hi Otis,
            I once had a Crystal Cut bowl for two years that I was frustratingly unable to ID, then one day I had it placed upon a black cloth and when I glanced down into it I could clearly see a mark that had eluded myself and others all that time!! So never give up hope on an ID.

Warmest Wishes,

John
The Blindingly Obvious is Never Always Apparent!!

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 11:57:23 PM »
Thanks John,  just to let you know, I have tried your method, but not unable to identify anything at the moment, but want give up hope.   Your advice is appreciated!  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand