No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Quiz time! Whodunit? :o) - ID = Jindra Beranek  (Read 9616 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Quiz time! Whodunit? :o)
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2013, 03:01:48 PM »
Thanks, m.
That piece in the Fischer auction is phantastic, and -- similar to my piece -- quite advanced to most of his other pieces I see.

As promised, here is my rather crude translation of the "certificate" (including a short biography) which seems to have come with his pieces originally.
ebay pics >> here and >> here.
A little more information than we had previously...

Certificate

Each piece from our glass atelier is designed, mouth-blown and hand made by Jindra Beranek.

The pieces are free shaped and thus vary in size, shape and decor.

Each unique piece has a ground out base and is marked with the signature J. Beranek.

With these individual pieces we try to meet the desire of many people who try to avoid serial production and search for the unique.

Glass Hut:
7431 Bad Tatzmannsdorf
Mitterfeldstr. 21

Sale:
1060 Wien,
Barnabitengasse 6
Tel....
Jindra Beranek was born in 1927 in Polevsko, CSSR.
In his father's glasswork in Skrdlovice he learned to make and blow glass.
After studying Glass enamelling and etching at Prof. Libensky, he run the master workshop at his father's plant. In 1957 he joins the national company Borske Sklo as master glass maker.

In 1955 he was called to be part of the Abitur classification commission at the national glass school Zelezny Brod, as well as the national commission for evaluating the dissertation work at the university for applied arts, Prague, department Prof. Libensky.
In 1969 he moved to Austria, where he starts to work at the sheet glass workshop Ignaz Dürr in Vienna.

In 1971 he becomes master glass maker at Wilhelm Zimmermann, where he finds the opportunity to produce free shaped and modelled glass objects.

In 1973 he goes to Stoob, where he builds and manages, at the area of the school for ceramics and oven manufacture, the first experimental glass oven in cooperation with the Lobmeyr company.

In 1976 he opens his own atelier in Bad Tatzmannsdorf, and in 1977 a show- and sales room in Vienna.

In 1979 he builds a new glass hut in Mitterfeldstraße, Bad Tatzmannsdorf.

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2013, 10:19:29 PM »
A great piece. As Michael knows, Jindrich Beranek usually seems to have made smaller pieces. This is the largest I have known sold recently. He was an important influence in Austrian Studio glass and was highly respected during his career, working at times with Lobmeyr studios. When he left Czechoslovakia, he left with a guy who would become one of Lobmeyr's most famous engravers, they both escaped to Vienna. I also heard that Jindrich has a son who is now a glassmaker in Austria, but I have not seen definite evidence of his work.

I do like the Emanuel Beranek influenced pieces by Jindrich. I have an unsigned multi coloured one of these three pocketed small rounded vases you have shown a link to. Exactly the same but I bought it from the Czech Republic. the three pocketed version seems a Jindrich design not in the patterns but developed from the Emanuel style of glass. As mine is unsigned, multi-coloured but identical I am left confused as to who made it.....

This piece of yours Michael suggests a special production and as a maker, Jindrich seems to have made smaller pieces more often for practical reasons and these more time consuming challenging pieces certainly seem more scarce. Even in these complex large pieces though, elements of Skrdlovice seem to survive and it seems his early training really was crucial to his later glassmaking style in all areas. He is under appreciated at the moment and deserves more exposure and discussion.

Robert

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 04:23:43 PM »
Robert, thank you so much for the additional information on Jindra Beranek!

I too think that his work is underestimated...

What was new to me in the certificate is the fact that he had a sales room in Vienna, which explains that his pieces can easily be found locally.

The Skrdlovice influence is often visible in his work IMHO, sometimes in a subtle way like in this vase (Greg was very good when he mentioned Ladislav Oliva at the very beginning of the thread), sometimes getting a little too close to the "originals", like in >> this Vizner whirlpool copy, or when he repeats 1950s Emanuel Beranek designs -- but always masterly executed.

A sort of “signature shape”, which seems unique to him, is the pink one I showed above with the purple blobs. Can be found without any decoration, with bubbles (like some >> here in Dusan’s gallery), with streaky patterns etc.

Robert, if you like, please do post pics of your multicolour vase -- I may be able to tell if it is his work or not.
I saw a few of his 3-openings vases which were unsigned; the big circular polished pontil is the dead giveaway...

And by accident I found another vase by him today, small piece at 10 cm height, lovely pink opalescence with white powder stripes :D
Plus a pic of a brown bowl which I sold some time ago.

OT: the sellers I bought my tall vase from had several stunning pieces of art glass from the Dittrich collection for sale; most of them were cut pieces in a real Czech studio style, some of them signed, but as I am not so much into cut cubes (and honestly didn't recognize many of them) I went for this one, and a very good German vase.

Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2013, 06:43:40 PM »
Interesting post Michael. Jindrich Beranek produced so much glass, I think it could be years before online collectors build up a full picture of his output. Being in Vienna seems to be one of the best places to find his stuff, for reasons you have explained.

The Vizner whirlpool is a mystifying piece, just done seemingly to prove he could produce it or something!!!! Dating it seems really difficult! The fifties Skrdlovice style pieces like your bowl indicate a real love for that era of glassmaking that he seems to be fondly remembering. Leaving your homeland under such stress much create complicated emotions. The Skrdlovice influence never left him, I don't think.

To quote myself, "I do like the Emanuel Beranek influenced pieces by Jindrich. I have an unsigned multi coloured one of these three pocketed small rounded vases you have shown a link to. Exactly the same but I bought it from the Czech Republic. the three pocketed version seems a Jindrich design not in the patterns but developed from the Emanuel style of glass. As mine is unsigned, multi-coloured but identical I am left confused as to who made it....."

I have seen Jindrich pieces of the same small size and bigger with three pockets, in single clourways: rosalin pink, crystal (and maybe light blue). I am pretty sure not all were signed or had polished concave pontil rod marks. I have one Jindrich piece with a flat base. This is another piece of glass, my 3 pocketed piece from the Czech Republic. I have seen perhaps 50 of these Emanuel pieces and all have been pattern book items. For this not to be a pattern book one, matching Jindrich beranek pieces at the same time, makes me cautious about attribution. Either seems possible to me. It is nice either way! I bought it, sold as a paperweight.

Robert

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 07:21:49 AM »
Thanks for posting the pics, Robert!
Interesting (and very nice) little piece.

I saw a lot of the single coloured 3-pocket vases by Jindrich Beranek, but only one multicolour one; it was quite small, had the circular polished pontil mark and was signed (or else I would have been sure it was a Skrdlovice piece).
Among the 30 or 40 pieces by him I have seen in the past, none had a flat base as far as I remember (which doesn't mean of course that this base finish may be found, too).
And only a few were unsigned, mostly the single coloured 3-pocket vases, which are easy to identify even without the engraved signature.

So if yours doesn't have the engraved "J. Beranek" and neither a polished pontil mark, I would rather think Skrdlovice production.

Michael

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 02:32:47 PM »
Another beautuful Jindra Beranek vase added to my small collection, the most complex I have seen so far. :)

22.5 cm high, yellowish bubbly layer, then 4 dark (blue-brown) leaf-shaped elements, surrounded by multicoloured opaque heavily veined "leaves", the whole thing thickly cased in colourless glass.
Signed "J. Beranek", and an old prize tag, saying "5.200,-". Currency has to be Austrian Schillings = about 380,- Euro now (was worth more then ;D), so quite expensive in its days...

Michael

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 02:39:10 PM »
Glorious  :o
m

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Quiz time! Whodunit? :o) - ID = Jindra Beranek
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 12:19:22 PM »
Yes, isn't it...
Jindra Beranek was a master glass blower obviously.
My pics don't do the piece justice unfortunately, the 3D effect is stunning in real life.

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 05:23:53 AM »
Wow, that is beautiful!

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2014, 04:45:18 PM »
Another nice Jindrich Beranek vase, similar technique with bubbly inner layer and swirling abstract multicolour pattern.
Smaller than the other two, at a height of 16 cm.
Signed to the base "J. Beranek".

Thanks for looking :)
Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand