No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kosta vase - Dates? Coded mark? Help please  (Read 12481 times)

Bill

Bernard C
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004, 07:37:10 PM »
Just a brief note to let you know I am not related to my
knowledge. An American living in Sweden from Pennsylvania.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Kosta vase - Dates? Coded mark? Help please
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004, 08:05:28 PM »
Hi Bill
I thought it unfair to compare Ellis Bergh to Vike Lindstrand as the latter,  was a generation on and benefitted preumably from the greater artistic latitude that the heady and boyant 50s market allowed.

What you have to say about the differences in marketing style between the two companies is very interesting. Can I presume that the lack of attention to designers at Kosta ceased once Lindstrand took over ?

I can understand commercially why a firm might wish to promote a house style and name recognition over that of individual designers. After all designers could leave and go to competitors  but to me it seems a very short sighted policy and as well as being counter productive in the short-term from what you say.

As to Kaj Franck, given your comment I'm puzzed that his own studio pieces (at minimum) seem to appear regularly as signed.
Peter
Pete

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Kosta vase - Dates? Coded mark? Help please
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 08:06:47 AM »
Taylog1:

Mine seems now to be missing the initial"1" of the pattern number, so I will have to move the design date to 1938.   All seem to be in this smoke slate blue colour, so the 1938 date would match Davidson's introduction of Smoke around the same time.

I now see where the "Kosta Boda" came from (see above).   It is yet another of those many confusing eBay categories.

Grateful thanks, Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Bill

Kosta
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2004, 08:00:27 PM »
Hi: It was not my intent to compare these two artists.
Actually, the tradition of letting artists have free time to experiment started at Kosta in the very early 1900's.
Kosta Boda management has promoted its artists along.
From Edvin Ollers to  Eric Hogland at Boda and now Bertil Vallien being the most well known in America of Swedish glass artists.
Kaj Franck, early in his career was quite vocal about not
having the artists name on their glass. It is amazing what age will do to one's convictions. I know mine are
changing.
Best
Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand