No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: information request for STELITE tumbler.  (Read 843 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
information request for STELITE tumbler.
« on: August 06, 2013, 07:01:24 PM »
This might be another Czechoslovakian product in origin, but could be wrong, and today spent a fruitless hour at the National Archives looking for the Regd. No. without success.
The smooth mirrored base carries an acid backstamp which reads..........STELITE  -  FOREIGN........and across the centre is Regd. No. 331352, which not in the British Blue Book, (a fabric Registration in the Archives)  -  also tried 331852, which another fabric Registration.
In the British sequence of Registrations these Nos. would date to 1898/99, and a tumbler with acid stamp such as this is almost too early to be from that period anyway.                I believe there are series of Continental Rds., so this one may well be from a non U.K. list.
I've tried variations on the word STELITE on the Board's search with success.

Height is just over 4" (105mm)

Very similar to the basic shape of Crystolac and Durit tumblers     -     height is just over 4" (105mm), and has an acid motif which reads Trinity College Cambridge - so very prestigeous association ;)

Looking for assistance please, and grateful if anyone has ideas.               thanks for looking. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: information request for STELITE tumbler.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 04:48:47 PM »
Browsing Ivo's book, I notice that States Registrations Nos. for 1936 (or thereabouts) match the No. on this tumbler.           Also have a feeling that the word 'Foreign' might have been a U.K. government requirement for items imported from the U.S. - or at least imported from non-British Empire territories.
So hoping please that one of the States pressed collectors might have the time to confirm whether or not this Rd. No. is from the U.S. list of Registrations.
Many thanks :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 07:51:51 PM »
I sent a note to the Corning Glass Museum, with details, but regret they unable to locate this Rd. No............their reply is as follows..

"Hello Paul,
Thank you for contacting us with your question.  I have consulted a design patent index and the US Patent and Trademark Office and have been unable to locate anything for the number 331,352 on your glass object. Our index goes up to about 1940 and ends in the 124,000's.   There is nothing matching that specific number in the USPTO.  I was also unable to find any trademarks for STELITE in our glass trademark materials. What I have found of Stelite (or Stellite) is that there is a compound metal by that name.
Please let us know if you have any further questions."

Can think only that this is a Continental Registration.              I'll keep it in mind and post if I get anywhere.

My sincere thanks to the Corning for their time and effort in trying to help :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 03:55:20 PM »
subsequently I tried the V. & A., and have their reply today as follows:

""Thank you for your enquiry.
I regret I am unaware of a continental registration system that would match this, nor the trade name Stelite. I agree that the 20s-30s seems are more liekly date for the tumbler.
I am sorry not to be able to offer more help.

Kind regards
Ceramics and Glass
V&A""

So really at the end of the line now, and appears I have failed miserably.         Anyway it'll remain on the system should anyone discover any positive information.

As always sincere thanks to the museum for all their efforts. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand