No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: "Tutti frutti" style dark purple bowl with murrine  (Read 2339 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
"Tutti frutti" style dark purple bowl with murrine
« on: August 08, 2013, 06:11:12 PM »
I know I will probably not get beyond "generic", but this one is a little different...

Diameter 24 cm, dark purple glass with some murrine in the center, and multicolour swirls and flecks over silver foil.
BTW, quite a nice effect on the dark glass, as the coloured flecks are not visible everywhere, but give the silver foil a rainbow sheen (see detail pic).

I found two others on the net, exactly the same decor but different shapes and background colours:
>> Link 1
>> Link 2

Mine has a label reading "Genuine Venetian - Murano - Made in Italy".

The shapes of all these three bowls remind more of Fratelli Toso pieces than of that unidentified maker which usually has the "Vetro Artistico Veneziano" label >> Wayne shows several of their bowls on his site.

Or yet another maker?

Thanks for any comment,
Michael

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: "Tutti frutti" style dark purple bowl with murrine
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 04:43:29 PM »
The shapes look consistent, perhaps yours is a brand label.

John

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: "Tutti frutti" style dark purple bowl with murrine
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 06:11:59 PM »
Thanks, John!
My bowl and the other two I linked to show a style quite different to the Tutti Frutti pieces by AVEM or Ferro Italarts (which I have learned to distinguish I think), closer to Fratelli Toso or "Vetro Artistico Veneziano".
So it may be one of these, or a completely different maker...

I am afraid the murrine in the centre (blue, green, red and white, same in all three bowls) are not distinctive enough to attribute them to Fratelli Toso?
I will watch out for labeled ones :)

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand