No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Georgian repro. bowl from E. & L. Crystal.  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Georgian repro. bowl from E. & L. Crystal.
« on: August 11, 2013, 06:22:54 PM »
some time earlier this year I commented.................."We mustn't forget that most of the big C20 factories produced copies of ealier patterns/designs, prior to 1940 ish - W/Fs, Richardsons, E. & L. and Walsh amongst them - and it was the Georgian fashion they seemed mostly to copy." ........................"Unfortunately, I've never knowlingly seen such 'reproduction' piece from any of those factories, but had assumed that the colour would be brighter than an original."

Today I found the attached piece from E. & L. Crystal, and there's no doubt as to which period their inspiration came from for this bowl......and can say that the colour, at least on this piece, is a lot brighter than a period item.               
I've had a quick trawl through some of the books, but E & L Crystal usually get quite minimalist coverage compared to Stuart/Webb/Webb Corbett  -  so I'd suggest it's unlikely to be shown anywhere that's easily accessible.                 Bowl is about 9.5" in diameter and almost 7" tall.............very heavy as you'd imagine -  and with eight large flat cut flutes on a pedestal support.

I'm posting mostly just out of possible interest, but do have the usual uncertainty as to the period of use of the backstamp - Roger Dodsworth in 'British Glass Between The Wars' shows similar marks (incorporating the word 'Crystal') and comments that these were "introduced c. 1927 and used during the 1930s".

So this bowl might be late 1920's and on into the '30's - which would tie in with other documented reproduction tableware from other large factories.           Reproduction seems to have been popular during that period.
I've not seen this thing before, so possibly a limited run at the time of manufacture.

If anyone has any comments re the period of use of this backstamp, would be interested to hear, and thanks for looking.  :)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Georgian repro. bowl from E. & L. Crystal.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 02:14:32 PM »
Lots to uncover for E&L   ::) a prolific factory underdocumented. http://www.scotlandsglass.co.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=237&Itemid=6

Appreciate if you can send larger and more pics for SG Paul.
Cannot add to comments on date range 27-39 is the standard

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 03:32:12 PM »
thanks for looking.           I get the impression that the date range of some backstamps is longer than perhaps we sometimes think.                                I'll send pix in the next 48 hours.

I also still have the example (in citron) of the citron coloured baluster shaped vase at the bottom of the first page in your link for SG, and which carries an identical backstamp to this Geo. repro bowl, thus putting the manufacturing period for both pieces within the same 27 - 39 bracket, probably.

There is an identical vase in Benson & Hayhurst (page 33), apparently with the later mark of 'E & L - Made in Scotland' - and to which Nigel attributes an approx. date of 1950's.     Nigel's example is in clear.

Would you also like pix of the citron baluster vase ??  :)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 11:30:33 PM »
If it is different to the one shown please.

f at debook com 4mb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand