No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Selkirk Crimped Rose weights  (Read 2387 times)

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
Re: Selkirk Crimped Rose weights
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 12:48:08 PM »
So, 1979 is 110 of 450.  1982 is not numberd but signed in the normal way.  1984 is 154 of 250.  All have PH canes (well I think I can see one on the weight with no pedestal but its under the sticker and I'm not about to remove it!) .  Seems the PH canes are the one with the green outside layer so they have been used as stalks to the roses....

Ian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 12:50:55 PM »
Sophie, does your top weight have etched lines on the foot?  One of mine does, one doesn't.  I did have 2 of the 1979 weights, but recently put on into an auction (not ebay!) which you will find if you look around slightly!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 12:58:42 PM »
Hi Ian,

Yes, my limited edition faceted weight has a star cut base, but I have seen others without it (and the image for the catalogue does not seem to have a star cut base either).

Also, my unfaceted weight is marked in the usual way (i.e. Selkirk Glass Scotland 1980).

This means that I still need to find an example of the crimp rose belonging to the 250 limited ed. Do you remember where you got hold of yours?

SophieB

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 01:12:12 PM »
Suspect ebay, quite a while ago.  Only one I've seen of it!

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 09:39:00 AM »
First - I may have to apologise: looking at the image of the "1983 LE 250" weight, I may have been wrong to put this in a comparison image with footed weights ... likely not footed at all (not quite clear on image, and no indication in correspondence). Possibly there was just an unfooted version as well (not shown in catalogues, with lower LE).

Now - let's summarize information on the footed weights:
1) There are two faceted versions - one with plain, the other with star cut base. Unless Ian has mixed up years on his image, there is a star cut version already in 1979 (first year of issue - no star cut indicated in catalogue image) as well as later (1984) ... where both produced in parallel?
- Cazza has shown us a star cut version signed 1979 128/450
- Sophie mentions a star cut version signed 1980 290/450
- so it could well be that the same design was still made in 1984
- Ian: what edition numbers are your 1979 and 1984 facetted weights? Sorry - just note that I had missed second page of this thread with your info: 1979 is 110 of 450 ... and ... 1984 is 154 of 250.

2) The 1983 weight is signed 96/250: doesn't fit in (290/450 in 1980 already) ... another indication it is a different (e.g. unfooted) design. But would fit in with 1984 is 154 of 250. Do we have 3 different footed versions after all?

3) The unfaceted weights seem not to be limited ... likely just unfinished for one or another reason, but still considered sufficient quality to be sold.

4) There doesn't seem to be any green leaves in the design - just the green encased PH cane "acting as stalk".

Any comments or corrections?
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 01:58:17 AM »
Hi Wuff,

I would summarise as follows:

1. There are two known LE editions of the crimp rose: one footed & faceted of 450 (that began in 1979) and one without a foot of 250 (that had began by 1983 at least).

2. The unfaceted version does not belong to a LE.

I would postulate one hypothesis though:

I am not convinced that the presence or absence of a star cut base indicates a different LE. I have seen variations between different issues of the same LE before (and like Ian I have seen another footed crimp rose without a star cut that was dated 1979 with a low number of 450)

Still, if you wanted to be sure, you could ask Peter Holmes.

SophieB

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand