No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Harrach or Moser  (Read 9417 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Harrach or Moser
« on: May 06, 2006, 11:37:57 AM »
I had this pair of Vases for about 2 years , I bought them in a antique shop near to me for what I considered a bargin price ,they were sold just as a pair of vases no maker, after much research I,ve always believed that they were Harrach, I think moser may have made similar items, I would myself date them to the 1890's, under a UV light the whole vase glows quite brightly, they are very large each vase weighing over 2kgs and  stand 11 inches tall and have polished pontil on base, after hours of searching web sites like ebay I have never found another example for sale, or in any books, I have seen a similar type of vase which has dolphin feet i think which was Harrach and smaller examples with lizards, any help in confirming maker please , also the vase are in perfect condition

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Harrach or Moser
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 12:24:15 PM »
I do not believe Moser made anything quite like it; on the other hand Sèvres did - but it could be quite difficult to research.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Harrach or Moser
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 12:26:44 PM »
:shock: Wow!  I love those!   :D

From the style I would agree with you on date, and I'd also love to know who made them, if it's possible for someone to say!   :shock:

Of course, I'd love them even more if they were green, but that's just me!   :wink:  I'd still definitely give them house-room!   :lol:
Leni

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Harrach or Moser
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 12:49:42 PM »
Ivo, has Sevres glass always been made by Daum ? or did they have their own facilities at one time ?
Pete

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Harrach or Moser
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 12:59:15 PM »
No no no, Sèvres was an independent glass factory of great repute which finally merged out of existence - I believe some time before WW1. The brand name used by Daum CFC has no relation to the old factory.

Offline BSevern

• Members
Harrach or Moser
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 11:50:00 PM »
These are most likely Harrach.  There are similar pieces in the Harrach museum (although they tend to be decorated).

Even the Moser pieces are typically Harrach blanks, which can make attribution even more confusing.  Remember Moser didn't make glass until  1893,  before which they sourced their blanks from other Bohemian companies such as Harrach (colored glass) and Meyr's Neffe (clear crystal).

Brian

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Harrach or Moser
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 02:17:08 AM »
Cyril Manley showed one of these vases in his book Decorative Victorian Glass - item 63. He described it as:
A Richardson specimen, a much earlier piece than I thought when I acquired it. The body is their early citrine, and the lizard is hand-made. Notice the 4 stubby feet and blurred edges. c. 1870. 29.2 cm (11 1/2 in) high.

When I saw the photos here I thought that perhaps these had come from the Manley collection, originally auctioned off in 1986 (I think it was that year). But there are differences in the postions of the lizard and the shapes of the rim decoration. However, the colouring of the vase and of the lizard, the feet and the drop decoration, is identical.

Was Manley correct in saying it was a Richardson piece? Maybe. Maybe not. I have never had any satisfactory resolution to my past questions of what, if anything, in Manley's book was misattributed.

As Brian says, Harrach certainly made pieces like this - but I was disappointed when I visited their museum a few years ago as there were no examples of applied creatures on show. But I did see a good example of this type of wrok in the Regional Museum in Jelinia Góra, Poland. I thought that one, which had a multi-coloured lizard on a floral-decorated vase with drop-decorated rim and base, was probably a Harrach item. But the museum curator was uncertain about its attribution and in the books showing the vase it is listed only as "Central Europe".

I would like an example of this type of work, but I have not seen one availible in the UK (I started collecting Victorain glass after the original sale of the Cyril Manley collection, otherwise I would tried for his example(s).)
KevinH

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Harrach or Moser
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 04:29:17 AM »
Astounding! I love it.  Isn't it interesting how figural detail increases the collectability/attractiveness of a piece? Insects, animal or human figures trump other patterns showing just as much skill. I wonder why that is?

Cathy

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Harrach or Moser
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 08:55:56 AM »
Thanks for the info and input so far, as I said I bought the vases in an antique shop in Lewes East Sussex about 2 years ago, if they are about 130 years old they must have been well looked after as there is not even a slight chip or nibble even on the feet, would any one be prepared to estimate a value on the pair, I paid £275.00 for the pair and I still think that that was a bargin or I hope so
roy

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Harrach or Moser
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 11:05:40 AM »
I might go with English for this on the basis of the uranium amber glass  :huh:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia