No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A new Glass Queries Gallery photo reference album for Sowerby glass designs  (Read 1397 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
In case anyone interested in Sowerby glass designs missed it, in one of my replies (reply #9) to a Sowerby glass query thread at
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,49335.0.html
I revealed that:

I have started a whole gallery of reference photographs of Sowerby glass items ordered by Sowerby pattern number, cross-referenced (where appropriate or available) with their registered design numbers, registration dates, and Sowerby pattern book references (E&OE) at:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=1001

Currently there are 290 images [mostly of Victorian Sowerby glass at present], and I am trying to add more all the time.

Glass Queries Gallery members please feel free to add more images, but non-members can refer to the gallery anyway.

In addition, for those Sowerby designs that were registered, I have endeavoured to add their RD numbers to the GMB RD database gallery at
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=763
and have cross-referenced  with details of the Sowerby pattern numbers and Sowerby pattern book.

In both cases, there are many photos of Sowerby’s registered and unregistered designs that don’t appear on the Thistlewood CD-ROMs.

I hope that these photo reference galleries will be of some assistance to Sowerby collectors and researchers (E&OE) – and they are free, of course.

In addition, thanks to Paul S’s heroic efforts in the past, looking up the precise registration details of [not just Sowerby] glass designs and, where appropriate, showing the relevant design representations in The National Archives at Kew, many attributions,  uncertainties and  anomalies are being definitively resolved (though others are being brought to light as a result).

So, also armed with Thompson, Slack, Cottle, Hajdamach, Murray, Lattimore etc., and the Thistlewood CD-ROMs, a good magnifying glass, new specs, a comfy chair, a supply of pills to cure headaches, insatiable curiosity, and lots of time, who knows what nerdy queries about Sowerby glass will reach a satisfactory conclusion via the GMB from now on?

Fred.

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Fantastic resource Fred!!  Now bookmarked and I will no doubt be referring to it often!  :)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Thank you, Wayne.

Glass Queries Gallery members, please feel free to amend / edit / add to any of my gallery entries, especially if you notice any errors.

Non-GQG members please contact me via this topic thread (or by the GMB direct email service) and I will do my best to amend the gallery entry / entries on your behalf.

Fred.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Take a bow and well done to all involved ,thanks very much..

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Good scheme Fred BUT are all the photos yours? if not shouldn't they have permissions quoted?
You are welcome to add anything suitable from my gallery with a credit - search on Sowerby

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Thank you, Christine.

No, the photos are NOT all mine, though some of them are.

Of the remainder, permission for re-use has been sought and given for all (sometimes a considerable time ago), and many of the photos are credited. Some photo owners have specifically asked that credit should not be given, and others have said that they are not bothered whether credit is given or not.

Fred.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Then it would be best to mark all photos that are not already credited as:
"Used with permission of photo owner"
KevinH

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
I will do my best, Kevin, though it may take some considerable time to mark the appropriate photos in both the GQG gallery albums (there being several hundred photos to be checked for permissions).

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand