No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby ? Wine cooler  (Read 1154 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Sowerby ? Wine cooler
« on: August 21, 2013, 07:19:44 PM »
I bought this a few years ago looks very much like a wine cooler, but maybe a little on the small size to be one.
There are 3 lugs on inside of the base.
Tree bark design.
I always thought it was Sowerby and with the date lozenge I thought it would be easy to confirm the maker, but I have never been able to confirm this as the lozenge although quite clear does not quite add up.
Height 4.75"
Diameter of rim 5.25"

Roy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Sowerby ? Wine cooler
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 07:28:18 PM »
hello Roy  -  can you tell us what, if anything of the lozenge that you can see.         Might it be one of the diamonds in reverse?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 07:29:54 PM »
had I looked at your good quality pic I'd have seen what you mean - going back to sleep. :)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 07:36:45 PM »
Hi Paul

I have spent several hours looking at every combination. I would say second cycle ,if you reversed it it would be wrong . Even if you go on x x and parcel 9 there is nothing to match , the day of the month looks like a 7 on its side.

Roy

bfg

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 08:28:04 PM »
if you don't put the second X (month) in the translator and use the wildcard (?) facility instead and then go through all the dates for the month (1 to 31) you get two hits:

Parcel Number: 9 was registered on the 10th of September 1868 by:
Boulton & Mills, Stourbridge.

and

Parcel Number: 9 was registered on the 31st of January 1868 by:
Molineaux, Webb & Co., Manchester.

no Sowerby though. Yes, I'm that bored! any help?

Mel

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 09:00:19 PM »
Anything is worth a shot Mel.....           I've just looked through pictures for 1868 and can't see it anywhere.            More sleuthing appears necessary.

bfg

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 09:37:55 PM »
oh well Paul, nothing ventured :-)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 03:19:26 PM »
If the design was Sowerby, Roy, then the year letter on the lozenge would have to translate to 1872+ (Sowerby's first design registration being on 2 February 1872 - Parcel 1).

There have been a few of these peculiar or anomolous lozenges on the GMB before, and Greener seems to have been a potenial culprit in some cases, but it's not like any Greener registration that I can remember seeing.

Definitely not the Molineaux, Webb & Co. registered design
https://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/registered-designs/molineaux-webb-designs-by-date/molineaux-webb-1868

and the Boulton & Mills registration description is for a blown jug
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/s/res?_q=registered+design+221498&_sd=yyyy&_ed=yyyy
and is also shown in Gulliver (page 274).

I will try and have a look through the early Sowerby designs in the extant pattern books to see if there is anything similar.

Fred.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 09:13:04 PM »
Thanks to all

I will keep trying to crack the code.

Roy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum