No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: What are these any clues  (Read 4870 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
What are these any clues
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 08:55:35 AM »
Completely wrong design for placecard holder, I agree with handbag clasp.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
What are these any clues
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 03:07:36 PM »
Thanks for all the replys , handbag clasp sound good for me , although they don't match any of my handbags so may have to sell them
roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 03:29:41 PM »
Another suggestion is that they may be dress clips.  In the 40's ladies would wear plain dresses and this type of clip would be put on at the neckline.  Usually I have seen them only made in diamante or bakelite, but they looked very pretty and obviated the need to wear any other jewellery.  

PS I wans't there in the 40's, at least not as an adult, but period costume is one of my hobbies and I used to do costumes for an amateur dramtic group years ago.  Emmi

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
What are these any clues
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 04:38:20 PM »
Sell them in several lots spaced a few weeks apart, say 3 or 4 per lot.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
What are these any clues
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 07:24:59 PM »
Oh Emmi, that sounds great!
you said you DID costumes - what was it actually? design, tayloring, sewing?
I hate the latter  :oops:  :evil:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 07:52:40 PM »
Hi Pamela....always had an interest in period costume, especially from the 20's onwards.  Fortunately the Amdram group I was with had a penchant for doing plays from those years, Noel Coward etc.  I was responsible for obtaining (on a small budget) clothes suitable for any particular period. Some things I would buy, some I would hire, some I would design and make - I have no particular skills in sewing, but know from my past experience in the theatre as a dancer, that as long as it looks right, doesn't matter too much how badly it is made.  (tricks of the trade...stage lighting etc. you can "wing it" as we say). And they only had to hold up and stay together for the period of performances anyway. I became known as "the bag lady" as I could always be found walking the streets loaded with bags from charity shops etc.It is surpising how many period clothes can be made from relatively modern iems, with a bit of adjustment, as long as the fabric is "in period" one can work miracles.  So that's it in a nutshell...I am/was just an unskilled person with some imagination helped by research.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand